Seeking Advice on My Purchased Refurb MacBook Pro Implanted with "Homemade Device"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by justiny, Apr 22, 2013.

1. justiny, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

justiny macrumors 6502

justiny

Back in April, 2012, I purchased a refurbished MacBook Pro, 13", 2.8 Ghz, 4gb RAM, from their online store. I had purchased refurbished Apple products before with no complications.

About four months ago, I began noticing my videos were playing with choppy playback. All of my software was current updated. My warranty expires at the end of April, so as a last ditch effort to resolve the problem, I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment on Sunday, April 21. It was determined that I had a hard drive with bad sectors, and the hard drive would be replaced under warranty. No big deal there.

Here's the kicker:

I received a voicemail on my iPhone from the Genius Bar that a "homemade device" (plastic cover) had been installed in the optical drive and they wanted my permission to remove that device.

I immediately called them back and advised them that the machine I had purchased had never been opened by myself or anyone else. The response I got was "Very interesting". I also told them they had my permission to remove anything that shouldn't be there.

This is where I am at...

The Apple store still has possession of my MacBook Pro. I was at work when I called them back, so I was distracted and didn't have the urgency of asking anything about this "homemade device".

Furthermore, I am concerned of my one-year warranty on the laptop, as that expires at the end of April.

My question to all of you is, how should I proceed forward with this?

I don't like the idea of a foreign "homemade device" implanted in my refurbished MacBook Pro after I have documented proof that I purchased it on Apple's online store and that, according to Apple's website, "We test and certify all Apple refurbished products..."

Again, I have never experienced this with Apple refurbs... What would you recommend I do?

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Well they test them but may not physically open them for inspection.

Wonder if the plastic part was left over from one of those optical bay adapters.

If it was just a piece of plastic, probably not to worry, but you could express your concern that perhaps the machine has other custom mods. They should be able to inspect.