iPad mini Seeking advice on purchasing an iPad Mini w/ Retina

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Heart Break Kid, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Heart Break Kid macrumors 6502a

Hello,
    I was hoping I could get some advice on a potential purchase. I am currently a physician that uses his iPad 3 daily in the hospital setting. I use dozens of apps to help augment patient care, access medical records, educate and interact with other health care providers. However my 16gb iPad3 has hit a brick wall with regards to storage. Im considering purchasing a new iPad with larger storage capabilities i.e. 128gb drive.

That said, I've been seriously looking at the iPad Mini w/ Retina display. The compact size makes it an ideal candidate for me given the limited space of my whitecoat.

a) will I notice any significant performance improvement with the iPad Mini w/ Retina compared to my old full screen iPad3 ?
    b) is there an update expected in the next 3 months? (I can likely wait until that time before the need to upgrade becomes a must)
    c) does anyone have any experience with the slim keyboard attachments? what is your opinion on them?

Thank you for any help you can provide

2. Rodster macrumors 68040

a) The rMini is far superior to the iPad 3 hardware wise

b) No, announcements expected until fall unless Apple pulls a surprise. So the rMini 2 should get released later this year.

c) No advice there.

You might also consider the iPad Air it's not as big as you think. Apple did a nice job slimming it down and it's really light.

3. Heart Break Kid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the prompt reply. Ive played around with a colleagues iPad Air and have to say that its a beautiful machine. That said, when i see how easily so many folks at my hospital use their rMini, Im kind of envious of that form factor. As long as all my applications scale appropriately, I think Ill be sticking with the kid brother of the Air :)

4. DaCurmudgen macrumors regular

I moved to the rMini for the same desire - form factor. I have an iPad 3, and it still holds up pretty well with iOS7.1, but the rMini's specs and portability made it a must have upgrade for me.

If you're on your feet all day, and you have a work coat with a pocket that can easily hold the mini, it sounds like a perfect match. Carrying my iPad 3 everywhere isn't impossible, but toting a mini around in my jacket pocket vs. a bag just makes the mini indispensable.

Some folks say it is harder to read or use the mini because of its size - that is something you should assess for yourself because if you have big fingers, I could see links, buttons, and possibly the keyboard a potential source of frustration. But I use my mini to watch movies, play some games, read books and pdfs as well as write, draft up song ideas, record music rehearsals, and use as a controller for my Apple TV and music applications on my Mac. As someone mentioned, the Air is definitely much lighter than the iPad 3, so weight between the Air and rMini should not be a huge differentiator.

When I got my iPad 3, I thought, a 7" tablet is too small to be useful. Now I think larger tablets are too big to be with you at all times. It is all personal preference, but if form factor is a big deal for you, the rMini is perfect.

5. colodane macrumors 6502a

colodane

I recently replaced my iPad 2 with a 64 GB rMini and couldn't be happier. I love the size, both for portability and for actual usage. Spent lots of time in the local Apple Store comparing both before deciding. I have 71 year old eyes and use reading glasses but have had no problems with the screen size. Spend at least two hours a day reading the NY Times, web pages, etc. on the rMini. It was an excellent choice for my and perhaps for you as well.

6. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I've found the mini to be the sweet spot

The text is sharper on the rMini than on the Air which is HUGE for me. Sure, there are fewer colors than the Air and the screen is slightly smaller, but for me, reading clearly is an absolute must. I've got less than perfect vision and that trumps everything else.

It's lighter to carry and hold for extended periods. And you save a $100 too.