Seeking advice regarding which MBP to get

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by karilynn, Jul 18, 2012.

1. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

Hi all -

I purchased the new MBP 13" last week (the baseline model) after my 2004 15" PowerBook finally kicked the bucket and I do like it, but I keep wishing I had gotten the 15" baseline model. I don't do anything on my laptop other than internet surfing, listening to music, e-mailing, etc. I know it sounds as though the 13" should be sufficient for that, but I am just not satisfied with the size of it. Perhaps it's because I had a 15" laptop for 8 years and now I am not used to 13 inches. Either way, I know that I want a 15" - just not which one.

So, here is where my question comes in. I can get last years model of the 15" on Amazon (tax free!) for 1500 - a mere 230 dollars less than what the new one is selling for on Amazon. I'm not the most tech savvy individual, so I'm not entirely sure just how much of an upgrade the new models received this year. But for web surfing, emailing, etc, last years model SHOULD suffice? Or would it be worth it to spend the 230 dollars more to get this years baseline model?

Also, I can't help but be in love with the retina display MBP, so if someone could kindly tell me I do not need it, that would be lovely. :D I'd be eating ramen noodles for a year! :p

thanks!

2. Dragoro macrumors 6502

Dragoro

3. karilynn thread starter macrumors regular

karilynn

lol thank you :)

4. MagicBoy macrumors 68040

MagicBoy

The late-2011 15" will be fine for your needs. Have you checked the Apple refurb store to see if they are any cheaper on there?

5. P0stalTek macrumors 6502

P0stalTek

I have the late 2011 15", and used it for quite a while before I upgraded it with the stats listed in my signature. It ran great.. and even played games flawlessly.

You definitely should not feel obligated to buy the 2012, but I probably would if I had that option for $230 :D

6. Urban Spaceman macrumors member

Get the 2011 model and spend the $230 (that you've saved over the 2012 cMBP) on an SSD.