All iPads Seeking advice: wifi or LTE?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by PCtoMAC1, Dec 13, 2013.

1. PCtoMAC1 macrumors regular

PCtoMAC1

So I have fumbling around for a few days with the Verizon LTE iPad Mini (with the T Mobile 200 MB free plan) and the wifi iPad Mini. Both are Retina, BTW.

I like the idea of being able to connect when I can, though I have an iPhone 5 with unlimited data on AT&T. That means that the iPad would need its own data plan. I don't travel a lot (family vacation and that's about it).

I've checked Gazelle and it appears that the first generation Mini is going for the same price regardless of wifi or LTE.

THOUGHTS???

2. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

iPad is already waaay overpriced, so I try not to give Apple free money such as ridiculous memory upgrades and cellular. 16GB/WiFi only here. Tethering with my iPhone works great.

When time comes to sell it, the top dollar you pay now turns into a couple of peanuts worth. I regret buying the maxed out iPad 1, I got $200 for it from Target towards rMini, but 16GB/WiFi would've gotten me the same $200.

3. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

You could stick with the LTE iPad and use your iPhone SIM in your iPad when you need data for the iPad.

4. wmkim macrumors member

For resale purposes, the 'maxed out' models always yield more. I sold my 64GB iPad 1 3G for $300...and that was when iPad 4 had come out. I cheapened out on iPad 4 and just got the WiFi (like you I didn't travel much and have an unlimited iPhone plan).

I regretted not getting the LTE model. I sold the 4 now that the Retina Mini came out; made sure to order the 128gb with LTE. Even if you infrequently use it, it's worth it in my opinion. Having it is very convenient and at upgrade time, if you do a private sale via eBay or something (instead of trade-ins) you can recoup quite a bit.

5. Lockon macrumors regular

Having Cellular radios in my iPads are great for those "wish I had LTE/gps" scenarios. I also hate the hotspot procedure on my iPhone, which means you have to go to settings/hotspot to initiate a connection with the wifi only ipad.. Every time. So I may have low resale values with LTE, but it's worth it to me.

6. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

I was wrong, in a similar thread a few weeks ago, to state the iPad without cellular is a crippled device.

Even so, I do like my iPad to have all the bells and whistles and the times I prefer cellular (like at a Christmas party last night when I was able to play iTunes radio, Christmas station/music) it is pleasant to simply have it available.

7. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Always get the cell version. Why? That connectivity is always useful at some point during your time with the device.

8. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Agree about getting the cellular version. Nothing beats being able to connect anywhere and WiFi is just not available everywhere. Plus, you can activate service at your convenience, you don't have to pay for it each month when you don't need it.

I sold my 32GB AT&T Mini for $325. I'll be getting the same model in a Retina Mini very soon.

9. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

10. JonMPLS macrumors 65816

Another vote for LTE. Along with the increased connectivity options, in my area LTE is WAY faster than most of the free wifi.

11. TheSwede macrumors regular

I always go with cellular. For me, the whole point of the iPad is to have constant connection to the internet, not to be depending on other devices (tethering).

I have bought 5 ipads the last year - all cellular and never regret it.
    My advice is to get the cellular you se fit and can afford.

12. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

I agree with the cellular option. Tethering is an option, but having the cellular version is much more convenient. Plus with the mobility of the iPad mini, you are more likely to use the included GPS of the cellular model.

Also, you should get what you want and will work best for you and not based on resale value.

13. nigelly macrumors regular

nigelly

You definitely should have sold the iPad privately. You would have gotten far more for it.

14. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

Tethering is a pretty cool option, but it can be annoying. U constantly have to reconnect if u go idle for a little bit. And sometimes just trying to get tethering to work in General is also fun. IMO, it's worth it to get cellular version Bc what I mentioned. Also, the fact your cell phone needs to be charged up and tethering completely kills battery life. With the cellular model, u open the Smart Cover and bam you're online.

15. Bokes macrumors 6502

If you have an iPhone tethering is the way to go.
    It's been flawless with my wifi Air.
    Spend the $$ on a phone battery juice pack instead and you'll be good to go.

16. Capt T macrumors 6502a

If you can afford the LTE, I would suggest getting that. With the TMo 200mb free, it will serve you in a pinch. And for the times you want/need it, you can add a plan.

Don't worry about resale, worry about what best suits your use of the product.

17. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

There are dozens of threads here with the same question. Do a bit of searching...

R