Seeking buying advice on MacPros...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by louis chen, Apr 17, 2008.

1. louis chen macrumors newbie

Hello. I am currently using a 1 GHz G4 which is six years old. It is somehow still doing an ok job with the programs I use-Flash, Dreamweaver, Reason, Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects and Final Cut. Everything takes forever and it's been upgrade time for a long while...I am looking at the MacPros and am unsure what to buy. The easiest decision would be to purchase a new 8 core 2.8 bare bones from Apple so I can install cheaper RAM and HD space myself. But even at the cheapest (either refurb or with my student discount) with tax and applecare we are creeping into the high 2K. I am not even sure I need the power of an 8 core...besides the programs I listed I hope to be using Logic more and a little 3D (i dabble in Swift 3D right now). So I want to have enough juice but I do not want to pay for excess power. So I am also looking at the quad core 2.8 option (though then I am saving like $450 to not have an extra $800 processor?). Or a refurb 2.66 quad perhaps...either of these would keep the price down a bit. But a refurb 2.66 will have less RAM, less HD space and a worse video card along with it, which could be a concern as I will have to buy more RAM and HD space eventually. However, at the cheaper price I might feel OK upgrading to a new computer sooner. Though I have a student discount, I do do professional work and even though people have told me forever to dump the G4, it has hung in there (though After Effects rendering, for instance, can take hours). But I look forward to this upgrade and just curious what people think would be sufficient and the best value for someone like myself. Thank you. I would consider iMac but the souped up iMacs are almost as much as refurb MacPros, I think.

2. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

I think if I were you, I'd either get the low end MP, and buy AC just before your year is up (spread out the cost), or I'd wait and see the specs of the iMacs when they come out. The thing about the low end MP, it's upgradable, and will last longer than even a new iMac, very likely. If you're able to purchase one that still qualifies for AC, you'll be golden for 3 years at least. Good luck on your decision. :)

3. louis chen thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the response. i really appreciate it.
    by "low end" do you mean the single quad 2.8?
    thank you again.

4. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

If that's in your budget, yep that would work fine, and seem stupid fast coming from using a 1ghz G4. You can add hard drives and ram down the road, as well as upgrading the graphics card if necessary down the line. :)

5. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

If your last mac lasted 6 years, try to get the 8-core version, that will work you for another 6 years. As you said, 450$ for a $800 processor price is nice.
    Get it standard, 2gb ram is enough for some time.
    Get apple care at the end of the 1rst year.
    The Macpro worth every penny, believe me.

6. dollystereo macrumors 6502a

dollystereo

Dont forget, you cant upgrade the processor later (4 cores---> 8 cores), and if it can be done, it will cost a lot.

7. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

You can upgrade the processor. Only one socket is occupied in the Mac Pro Budget Edition®. However you have to buy your own heatsink for the 2nd chip.

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Yeah, lemme tell you that finding that Mac Pro heat sink sucks... I've come up with one company that might not even be legit. OP, you would certainly benefit more from the 8 core, but the quad will suffice for long enough where you'd be looking to upgrade anyway. You can get a refub quad 2.8 for pretty cheap too.