Seeking clarity regarding Apple Developer Kits

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CaptainClams, Jun 1, 2008.

1. CaptainClams macrumors newbie

Hello!

I am heading off to college this fall, and I've been eyeing the 17" MacBook Pro for quite some time now, and I think I'm going to go for it. Since that certainly is not a cheap investment, I have been trying to find the best deal possible.

I originally thought it would be best to buy with a student discount, which takes $200 off the total price and includes an iPod (which I don't really need, but is cool regardless). However, after doing some sleuthing, I stumbled across the Student Apple Developer Program, which costs $100 and allows one hardware discount. The MacBook Pro discount is $560 off! Even factoring in the $100, its still $460 off, which is a damn fine deal.

Also, I planned on doing a lot of coding in my college career, as I want to pursue a path in the Computer Science/Engineering field. It seems to good to be true: why wouldn't everyone just buy the student developer kit, save 500 bucks, and be happy? Am I missing something here?

I just want to know if this is as simple as it sounds: Buy $100 student ADC, then buy highly reduced MBP. Are there any real disadvantages or catches?

Thanks, and cheers!

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

The student ADC is the best option for a one-time purchasing discount. You're a student, so you should qualify. Go for it.

The reason not everyone bothers is because a) it's only available to students, so most don't qualify, b) it's not like Apple widely promotes this deal, which eats in to their profits, and c) if you're not actually going to develop, it's a little dishonest.

Nearly forgot: welcome to the forums!

3. CaptainClams thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response scienide! Your answer was just what I was looking for. On a related note, is it possible to redeem this discount in an Apple store, or can it only be done online? Also, I'm a bit skeptic to order online because I have a phobia of dead pixels, improper case alignment, etc. I feel like if I purchase at an Apple Store I can quickly check to make sure everything is in tip-top shape, and potentially exchange it if there are any problems.

Also, I know everyone on here is sick of this question... but do you really think it's worth the wait to get a potentially redesigned MBP? I feel like the GPU and CPU will not be that much improved, and that's really my main focus. Plus, I'm getting anxious!

Cheers!