Seeking cMBP Buying Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drew84, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Drew84 macrumors newbie

The usual song and dance, I took a one-time shot on a rMBP that arrived today with an LG screen that I refuse to keep, so I'm moving on to Plan B with the purchase of a cMBP. I'm torn in which direction to take with the configuration, however.

One way or the other, I'd like to have an SSD in the computer. With my EDU discount, the cost to pre-configure it with a 256GB drive (2.6/8/256) is around $2,550, while buying a standard 2.6/8/750, adding an aftermarket SSD, and paying an Apple service center an hourly rate to clone the drive would run around $2,400.

There's also the consideration of buying a 2.6/8/750 refurb and doing the same, which would save another hundred or two.

In your opinion, is the Apple tax for the SSD worth having the system ready to run out of the box, the hard drive warrantied, and not having to bother with storing the original drive should you need it? I've got enough PC building experience that I could probably do the swap, but it's a business computer that I prefer to just keep my hands out of. That Apple tax is hard to swallow though. Thoughts?

2. leman macrumors G3

Why would you want to pay Apple to clone the drive? A new computer is 'blank' (fresh install anyway). Just order a normal MBP, buy RAM and n SSD yourself and plug them in - they are user-replaceable, the only 'exotic' thing you need is a Torx T-6 screwdriver.

After that, just install from your system install DVD/internet (modern Mac's firmware can download and install the OS for you).

3. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Do you have regular need for the Superdrive? If not, consider swapping it out, putting the 750 in stead of the superdrive and the SSD in stead of the HDD.
    I used the OWC data doubler (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/DDAMBS0GB/) and the OWC slim enclosure for the Superdrive (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/VLSS9TOPTU2/).
    I paid an apple service center 50 € to do the swap (SDD->HDD->Superdrive) and then cloned the HDD->SDD with SuperDuper.

RGDS,

4. Drew84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not Apple, just a local computer shop.

5. leman macrumors G3

My question still remains. Just install the drive yourself and save yourself some money.

6. LeeM macrumors 6502a

its silly easy to change the hard drive and even easier to change the ram yourself. you need a screwdriver, apple even provide guides because it doesnt affect warranty at all.

7. Drew84 thread starter macrumors newbie

Where can I find a good guide to doing the OS install? I've seen it explained different ways, some of which were rather involved. I'm still using Leopard on my '08 MBP, so I've never done the reformat process without a disc.

8. leman macrumors G3

You don't need a guide... Just put the drive in, start the computer and thats it. It will ask you for a WiFi password, will log in to the Apple servers, download the OS, format your drive and install the OS for you. The interface is the same as in normal OS X. You can also use the Disk Utility (again, the same as it works under OS X) to partition your drive the way you want.

Or, if you want it to go quicker, use the installation DVD you have received with the laptop.

9. loves2travel macrumors member

Sounds so easy, now I have to wait for our 2012 MBP to deliver to our home then figure out which SSD drive to get as there is a few to choose from. When it comes to SSD's I'm totally lost. Here's the one we just bought.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0074703CM/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00

Sorry for the little Hijack of your thread drew84:D

10. Drew84 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm curious how it can be this simple. My research has turned up guides to making bootable flash drives, bootable CD's, using CCC, and other methods to reformat or format a new drive. I've seen no mention elsewhere of the MBP (I'm assuming through something built into the logic board) having the ability to load the OS all on its own. Can you provide a link to details on this, please?

11. leman macrumors G3

Why would you need a bootable flash drive? You said you want to get a cMBP, which comes with a DVD drive and an installation DVD. And even if you want to make a bootable flash drive, it is as simple as starting Disk Utility, clicking 'Restore' and selecting the installer image.

Its called OS X Internet recovery: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

12. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Google is your friend...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

13. michial macrumors 6502a

michial

Buy a new base 15 inch 2.3 and then go to www.macsales.com and get 16gb on RAM and an SSD. The 2.3 will handle all your needs. Lowes sells the screwdrivers you need for 4.97

----------

Buy a new base 15 inch 2.3 and then go to www.macsales.com and get 16gb on RAM and an SSD. The 2.3 will handle all your needs.

14. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

+1 on the OS X internet recovery!!! If your MBP is new, the fresh install is great way to go. I did just that two weeks ago when replacing a HDD with Samsung 830 SSD.

15. LeeM macrumors 6502a

internet recovery, or carbon copy cloner is very easy to use.

16. snaky69 macrumors 603

The no longer come with installation DVD's ever since Lion came out. Don't spread misinformation please.

OP, just use internet recovery, it's really quite simple.

17. leman macrumors G3

Oh, I am sorry, I missed that somehow... I assumed they still had recovery DVDs in the package. Sorry for the confusion!