Seeking Color Picking/Organizing Program

smirking

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
Capto_Capture 2020-01-15_12-01-14_AM.jpg

Does anyone out there remember Color Schemer Studio II? That was my favorite color management program. It has been a number of years since this was a usable program. It still runs (haven't upgraded to Catalina yet), but it's too unstable to use.

I've gone through a bunch of color management tools since I've had to give up Color Schemer Studio II, but none of them ever manage to match the utiility and simplicity of this little gem. I'd expect there's got to be a worthwhile alternative out there that I don't know about.

Any other fans of Color Schemer Studio II out there who've found a suitable replacement?

MacGizmo

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
I don't know exactly what Color Schemer Studio did, so I can't offer any good advice. But is Adobe Color (formerly Kuler) anything like what you're looking for?

It sounds like you've tried a bunch, but here's a list - maybe there's something on it you haven't come across.

Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I don't know exactly what Color Schemer Studio did, so I can't offer any good advice. But is Adobe Color (formerly Kuler) anything like what you're looking for?

It sounds like you've tried a bunch, but here's a list - maybe there's something on it you haven't come across.
OK! That helps! I already had gone through that AlternativesTo list and came away disappointed, but I haven't seen Adobe Color before and that is pretty much what I was looking for! I did find some references to Kuler in my search, but wasn't able to find the program. That it became Adobe Color would explain why I kept hitting dead ends.

Color Schemer Studio II was basically a Mac desktop version of Adobe Color crossed with a palette sniffing program (like Sip). It made it super easy to build and manage palettes and helped you with ideas for contrasting or complementary colors using a variety of color theory tools. Adobe Color might be pretty close.

MacGizmo

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2003
Arizona
Adobe Color (and Kuler before it) was never a desktop app, unfortunately. The service is built-in to all of Adobe's apps, or via the website. It's not perfect, but it does the trick.

There's also:
Just Color Picker (free)
Color Slurp (free, with a pro version available)
ColorSquid ($14.99)

I wish Adobe Color came in a desktop app version, but I suppose one could be created using one of those "web app to menubar app converter" programs.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
One of my designer buddies loves Color Slurp, I remember it from the [funny] name and seeing it during some screen share where we were doing a little iterative, OTF design changes to a project.