Seeking Cover for Hand-Rest on Alum Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by doubledee, May 29, 2013.

1. doubledee macrumors 6502

doubledee

I am getting ready to buy a new MacBook Pro with the Aluminum Unibody.

While I must say that the aluminum feels closer to plastic than metal, I'm still not excited about having to rest my hands all day on Aluminum, which normally gives me a really uncomfortable feeling... :(

Does anyone make some sort of covering to place over the "Hand Rests" of my new MackBook Pro to alleviate this issue??

(Don't laugh, but it is almost like Wallpaper would work?!) :D

Sincerely,

Debbie

2. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

Debbie,

We got ours from etsy.com - they have thousands of decal designs. Just search for MacBook Pro decals. Some of them have a piece that goes on the area you're talking about. They are vinyl and the adhesive keeps it stuck on but doesn't leave any film or gummy areas when removing.

Something like this:

[​IMG]

3. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

How does it feel?

(I am shooting for the same feel as my current White MacBook...)

And from a heath standpoint, should I have any concerns about rubbing up against a "decal" all day?

Sincerely,

Debbie

4. booskie macrumors newbie

Twelve South

Try going to www.twelvesouth.com. They have leather pads that are really thin. I have one on my MacBook AIR and I love it. No cold metal in the mornings :)

5. smokeyrabbit macrumors 6502

It feels pretty similar to the glossy plastic surface I think. It says it's coated with a water proof and oil proof high gloss coating, but it's not reflective like the MacBook plastic is. I like it compared to my white MacBook. To be honest it's my wife that uses the one with the decals. i almost always plug a grown up keyboard in and use that with my notebooks.

As far as rubbing up against it goes, if you're that vigorous in your computer use, I'm not sure what to say ;) Certainly it doesn't feel less comfortable than either the plastic or aluminum cases.

6. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

Sounds awesome, but...

1.) Would that work on a new MacBook Pro 13"?

2.) What about people saying that the palmrest protectors can damage the screen?

(I would think leather is even thicker than silicon, and thus even more prone to damaging something when your laptop is closed...)

Sincerely,

Debbie

7. booskie macrumors newbie

I believe they have one for the MacBook Pro. They are very thin and I have not noticed any damage. Check it out and see what you think.

8. gc916 macrumors regular

gc916

I've been using the Moshi palmguard for more than a year and have been very happy with it. It is almost perfectly color-matched to the MBP, so it's not apparent unless you look closely. No sign of wear as of now, and no damage to the screen that I can see.

I don't use the trackpad protector that comes bundled with the palmguard.

9. doubledee thread starter macrumors 6502

doubledee

Nope, just for the MacAir.

But what is the difference in size/dimensions between a new MacBook Pro and a MacAir?

(I would think they would be nearly identical - the Keyboard/Touchpad/Palmrests shouldn't vary like the laptop thickness does...)

And worst case scenario, could I take a razor and trim it if need be?

(I just want something to cover the palmrests since I'm not crazy about the feel of metal on my hand... And I'd *love* the feel of leather versus plastic!!)

Sincerely,

Debbie