Seeking Entourage Project Replacement - Pls help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SailingSeahorse, Apr 28, 2008.

1. SailingSeahorse macrumors newbie

After a 10 year hiatus, I'm back with a Mac! But it all seems really unfamiliar.

I was using Entourage and loved the Project part of the software. For individual projects it keeps scheduled events, contacts, emails and files all associated together. However, my university's IT asked me to stop using Entourage due to some networking issue so I've started with iCal and Address Book and I'm looking for something to replace Entourage's Project.

I've looked at Bento, and Soho Notes, but they don't seem to have a scheduling side to them and I don't think one can just drop different sorts of files into the relevant project. Other pieces software I've heard of are Yojimbo, DevonThink, Soho Organizer and some Omni softwares, but I'm not sure if they will be any better and the learning curve on a couple of these makes this a hard endeavor on my own.

Could you recommend something I can use? Thanks!

Sailing Seahorse

2. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

3. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Project X

I use Project X. It's MS Project compatible and also stores files and such associated with a project. I also use Daylite with the Daylite Mail Integration plug-in so that Daylite can store incoming and outgoing emails that it recognizes as being linked to a current Contact or Project.

4. zaxxon72 macrumors member

still searching....

This is the part that I'm looking for as well. Especially also tying in [word|excel] files. The project/time management part is not really important, just to see what contacts have to do with a project, which emails have been sent pertaining to the project, and which documents were created for the projects, and which meetings were attended for it.

and all that preferably with the apple builtin applications (to facilitate syncing, as entourace is prone to mucking up iCal...)

projectX is not really this, and contactizer doesn't do files (and is a little bit too much email/calendar client of itself. I'd prefer to use the native applications, but have tags in each to assign and then a program so get an overview of everything that was assigned a specific tag. Does anyone have an idea how to do this?

As entourage/project center is on the way out anyway (outlook!) I assume there are a lot of people that need to find a solution as well.

thanks
    simon

5. MJWashburn macrumors newbie

MJWashburn

Looking as well.... not finding....

Simon,

I am in complete agreement. I have been looking for months as 1)Entourage has no exchange support w/o dropping almost $300, even though I work in a non-profit educational company. 2) Entourage does muck up the iCal DB like crazy (4700+ duplicates anyone?) 3) as my DB soars over 1GB entourage crashes ever two weeks. Absolutely unacceptable.

Things I have tried so far:

Contactizer Pro - REALLY unfriendly to use. and the email linking seems obtuse.
    Now X - Too simple, no email integration.
    Pagico - Okay, but not intuitive.
    SOHO Organizer - not bad, but no uninstaller. One has to manually delete files from the library to uninstall... not cool.

OmniFocus and Midnight Inbox
    The most promising thing I have found so far is OmniFocus or Midnight Inbox
    they have very powerful integration / sync features and are very nice, especially if you are into a GTD methodology. OF has a iPhone app (a nice plus) and MI is working on one.

I will be working on this for the next several weeks, as I have gotten Entourage's DB repaired (AGAIN), but I expect to crash in the future. I will post a more thorough review of OmniFocus and Midnight Inbox.

6. SonyRaycom macrumors newbie

Re:

There are various project management apps though the one that I suggest us Replicon time management software. It has got great features and usability too.

Overall simple app with nice great usage as well as compared to similar apps such as Harvst & Feshbooks etc.