Seeking Experience w/Apple's iPhone Recycling Program

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I'm tired of Verizon not having stock while waiting for their iPhone Trade-In, and their promotion is about to expire (9/30-10/01), so thinking about just driving an hour to the closest Apple since they have most colors and storage variations in stock.

Here's my question, I can answer "yes" to all of their condition questions: screen good condition, no water damage, etc., but how much do nicks and scratches matter? How closely do the Apple employees examine the phone, etc.?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Iphoneness

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2010
Raleigh, North Carolina
I traded in my 5s at the Apple store when I got my 6 Plus. It was pretty darn beat up, about as close to cracked as it could get. Edges were chipped all the way around, the back was completely scuffed up and the front had scratches on the screen. All they looked into was the water damage indicators. They gave me $310. So I say as long as it's not bent :p or cracked, you're good!

Last edited:

bielen

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
New Jersey
I traded in both an iPhone 5 and 5s for a 6 and 6 Plus this past weekend. There were some scratches on the phone but fully functional. Within minutes I recived $315 for the 5s and $219 for the 5 which was provided as an Apple gift card which I could use anytime.

I'm tired of Verizon not having stock while waiting for their iPhone Trade-In, and their promotion is about to expire (9/30-10/01), so thinking about just driving an hour to the closest Apple since they have most colors and storage variations in stock.

Here's my question, I can answer "yes" to all of their condition questions: screen good condition, no water damage, etc., but how much do nicks and scratches matter? How closely do the Apple employees examine the phone, etc.?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I traded in my 5s at the Apple store when I got my 6 Plus. It was pretty darn beat up, about as close to cracked as it could get. Edges were chipped all the way around, the back was completely scuffed up and the front had scratches on the screen. All they looked into was the water damage indicators. They gave me $310. So I say as long as it's not bent :p or cracked, you're good!
That's great to hear, I appreciate the feedback.

Did they take it to the back and examine it or just look it over there on the sales floor with you?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
I traded in both an iPhone 5 and 5s for a 6 and 6 Plus this past weekend. There were some scratches on the phone but fully functional. Within minutes I recived $315 for the 5s and $219 for the 5 which was provided as an Apple gift card which I could use anytime.
And, my apologies for a stupid question, but I want to be 100%, you can use that towards a new iPhone, yes?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
That's great to hear, I appreciate the feedback.

Did they take it to the back and examine it or just look it over there on the sales floor with you?
From last years experience they took it to the back to a genius member and made sure there was no water damage and everything was in check.

bielen

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
New Jersey
When we turned in our phone, we had to shut Find My iPhone and erase. All was done right at an Apple Store table. The phone was put in a plastic bags and we were given a gift card for each phone.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Yes. They put the credit on a gift card and just charge that when you purchase the new iPhone.
Ok, great. Thanks!

When we turned in our phone, we had to shut Find My iPhone and erase. All was done right at an Apple Store table. The phone was put in a plastic bags and we were given a gift card for each phone.
Fantastic. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for sharing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.