Seeking Experience w/Apple's iPhone Recycling Program

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Sep 26, 2014.

1. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I'm tired of Verizon not having stock while waiting for their iPhone Trade-In, and their promotion is about to expire (9/30-10/01), so thinking about just driving an hour to the closest Apple since they have most colors and storage variations in stock.

Here's my question, I can answer "yes" to all of their condition questions: screen good condition, no water damage, etc., but how much do nicks and scratches matter? How closely do the Apple employees examine the phone, etc.?

Does anyone have any experience with this? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Also. Replaced my screen & digitizer, and it looks good, but is there any way they would know that?

3. Iphoneness, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

I traded in my 5s at the Apple store when I got my 6 Plus. It was pretty darn beat up, about as close to cracked as it could get. Edges were chipped all the way around, the back was completely scuffed up and the front had scratches on the screen. All they looked into was the water damage indicators. They gave me $310. So I say as long as it's not bent :p or cracked, you're good!

4. bielen macrumors regular

I traded in both an iPhone 5 and 5s for a 6 and 6 Plus this past weekend. There were some scratches on the phone but fully functional. Within minutes I recived $315 for the 5s and $219 for the 5 which was provided as an Apple gift card which I could use anytime.

5. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's great to hear, I appreciate the feedback.

Did they take it to the back and examine it or just look it over there on the sales floor with you?

6. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

And, my apologies for a stupid question, but I want to be 100%, you can use that towards a new iPhone, yes?

7. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

Yes. They put the credit on a gift card and just charge that when you purchase the new iPhone.

8. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

From last years experience they took it to the back to a genius member and made sure there was no water damage and everything was in check.

9. bielen macrumors regular

When we turned in our phone, we had to shut Find My iPhone and erase. All was done right at an Apple Store table. The phone was put in a plastic bags and we were given a gift card for each phone.

10. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Ok, great. Thanks!

Fantastic. Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for sharing.