Seeking help.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Messerleone, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Messerleone macrumors newbie

Hello everyone :),

I am in the need of a desktop computer,something that's reliable and always there when I need it.

So I decided to go for the iMac,I haven't purchased it yet,its a bit pricey but I have the money,but I am not impatient,and I don't want to rush on buying it.

So I have a few questions for you Mac users,Because I have never bought a Mac before.

1- Is it worth the huge price tag?
    2- What kind of troubles will a first time Mac user encounter ?
    3- Will Windows 7 cause any trouble when its installed via Bootcamp? and how many Gigabytes does Windows 7 need ?
    4- How long does this type of Mac last ?

Thank you for your contribution,I will be even more thankful if you give me some tips and advice. :)

2. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

The price tag is not huge... If you buy a windows computer with a comparable monitor you will be spending only a little bit less, and that extra money you save will come at the cost of build quality and customer service. You have to remember that the display on the iMac is a big, high quality, IPS display. If you wanted a 27" IPS display of the same quality, it would cost you 800-900 dollars.

New Mac users might have problems adjusting to finder, and some other software. For me, it was the window controls on the left instead of right that got me.

Most software is cross platform or there is Mac software that will do the job of software that is not cross platform.

Windows 7 shouldn't need more than 6-7 gigs for the os, so giving it about 50-100 should do the trick, so you will have enough space to store applications you might need. Also, your boot camp partition will not cause any trouble to your iMac.

If you buy an iMac, I recommend getting the upgraded video model in whatever screen size you're ordering. For example, I recommend the 1499 dollar 21in iMac over the 1199 21in

3. Messerleone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks that was helpful :)

and how can I pack my iMac if it needs repairing ? should I place it back into its packaging or are there any other methods?

4. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

I suggest you save it's box... Otherwise you're going to look like a fool carrying a computer through a mall.

Me? I decided to use my box as a cutting table and no longer have it. I regret this decision.

5. Messerleone thread starter macrumors newbie

Should I save every part of the package? I saw some unpacking videos and it sort of comes with these parts that are used to keep it from moving inside the box.

I fear these might scratch the screen.

6. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

I don't remember what they were made of. The glass is pretty hard though.

I think there was a bag...if you keep the bag hounding scratch the screen.

7. Messerleone thread starter macrumors newbie

Again,Thanks alot for the helpful info :)