Seeking Input on 16 MacBook Pro & XDR Display

libertyranger10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
Hey Everyone,

Looking to get some thougths/feedback on anyone using the latest 16 MacBook Pro with the XDR display. I'm debating between the 16 MacBook or new Mac Pro to use with an XDR display. I really don't think I need the extra power of the Mac pro, so am leaning towards the MacBook. I definitely want an XDR display to run with it....so

How is the performance with the monitor using the 16 MacBook pro? Has anyone encountered any issues. Any recommendations. Thanks!

cmaier

macrumors G5
Jul 25, 2007
California
Hey Everyone,

Looking to get some thougths/feedback on anyone using the latest 16 MacBook Pro with the XDR display. I'm debating between the 16 MacBook or new Mac Pro to use with an XDR display. I really don't think I need the extra power of the Mac pro, so am leaning towards the MacBook. I definitely want an XDR display to run with it....so

How is the performance with the monitor using the 16 MacBook pro? Has anyone encountered any issues. Any recommendations. Thanks!
One thing to keep in mind is that, I believe, there is no power switch on the XDR display. So depending on your environment and your preferences, it could be a little unwieldy in a MBP setup where you might want, sometimes, just your MBP display on.

libertyranger10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
One thing to keep in mind is that, I believe, there is no power switch on the XDR display. So depending on your environment and your preferences, it could be a little unwieldy in a MBP setup where you might want, sometimes, just your MBP display on.
Good to know! My plan mainly was to keep the MacBook closed while using the external display.

blackie36

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2006
Hey Everyone,

I'm using the MacBook Pro 16 with my XDR and it works flawlessly. Did you have any specific concerns or questions?

blackie36

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2006
Minimal, but I haven't paid a lot of attention to when the fans are / are not kicking in. I will keep an eye on it.

Reactions: Nik

anthonymoody

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2002
I'm using the MacBook Pro 16 with my XDR and it works flawlessly. Did you have any specific concerns or questions?
Not the OP, but while I have you :)...

I'm contemplating this hardware combo but would like to use it in clamshell mode (i.e. laptop closed). I have the Apple keyboard and touchpad (the gray 'pro' versions) which I'd like to use as well. What's the simplest way to set things up such that I can connect/disconnect the MBP16 and XDR as needed, such that the keyboard and touchpad would connect wirelessly?

TIA.