(Seeking Mac MC software) Any software developers here?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by opusthe2nd, Sep 17, 2007.

1. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

2. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Just out of interest why are you posting in this forum? Are you expecting someone to pop and say they will develop the application for you? It would be much better in the applications forum.

3. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Well, I just thought it would fall under "programming". Whodda thunk it!

A mod can move it if they desire.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Well since he wants someone to do programming, I'd think it more appropriate here, but I'm not a moderator so who knows.

5. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

I'll do it for $35K.

Seriously, if you want someone to program this for your, It's going to cost a lot of money. The quote above is on the low side. You could try to lead an open source project, though. You would end up with free software, but it would likely take a lot of time and dedication to find and lead a group of interested developers.

I would ask/search around for something that already exists. I think there is a really good chance you could find something that suits your needs that costs less than the $249 that this program costs.

6. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

There is nothing like it available. That is the only program available for Windows, as well. Nothing I have found will do what that does.

7. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why not use VMware Fusion?

You couldn't do it legally for $35K. Most place have minimum wage laws where you'd have to pay at least $7/hr
    plus payroll taxes, insurance, estimated income taxes
    you accountant and rent on office space. $35K
    would not begin to cover it unless you just like doing
    the work. So you are right, Open Source.

On the Other hand way not simply run the Windows program under VMware Fusion?

8. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Of course you could do it with Parallels or Virtual Box, but that takes away the reason for owning a Mac now, doesnt it?

9. mduser63, Sep 17, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012

mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Minimum wage laws only apply to employees. I can develop it myself and charge 25 cents if I want to. But yeah, $35,000 is probably a lower end estimate. I get tired of people thinking software is trivial to write. It takes lots of time, skill, patience and hard work.

10. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

My point was that he surely does not want to pay the many thousands of pounds it would take to pay a developer to write the application. Hence the fact it is not a programming request.

11. cubist macrumors 68020

Appears to be some kind of karaoke software...

... with some pretty fancy features. PCs are pretty cheap these days, buy one and dedicate it to running this program.

The true engineer doesn't reinvent the wheel - at least without some pretty compelling reasons to do so.

12. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Good point!

13. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Hm, I don't know about you guys, but with today's modern Cocoa APIs (bindings, Core Data, Quartz, etc.), I could probably whip up an equivalent app pretty quickly.

Edit: I have an idea of what the app's supposed to do, but not 100% exactly. Can someone give a one-sentence description of the app?

14. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

LOL! Well, I didn't actually do an analysis of the project, so my estimate is a little undeveloped, but I don't think I'd be running in to minimum wage issues on a project of this scope!

15. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

iTunes.

16. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

[shakes his head]

17. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

It is quite terrible, either I'm blind or this product doesn't have a normal description at all. Just feature lists which do seem to be like iTunes + Keynote features.

I installed it in Parallels for kicks, almost made me go insane with the terrible interface. This is a perfect example of why Windows sucks ;)

18. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Exactly. Unfortunately, it is a mainstay for a performer. There is nothing else that will do what it does.

19. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Well, I think the problem is that while you are in the right place looking for developers... you might have a hard time to find someone willing to commit to such a project. Who gets to own the rights to the app when it is done? Can they sell it to recoup their expenses developing it? How much are you willing to front to make it reality?

IMO, the ones able to make it happen are the ones who are gonna be concerned with the answers to these questions. Hell, if I wasn't in the middle of a big project myself, I might consider it for the right incentives... but I am just full up on work that I need to do polishing an app I want out the door in the Oct/Nov timeframe.

20. opusthe2nd thread starter macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Ok, I am sensing that this post was taken the wrong way. I am not in anyway displeased with Emcee Pro or the support that comes with it. What I was trying to do was to find something that would meet the needs of Mac users [without Intel Macs].

This product, like I said is a mainstay for a performer. There is nothing available today that will do what it does.

21. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Which I have done after reviewing the thread. If you are looking to 'find something that would meet the needs of Mac users [without Intel Macs]' then this is the more appropriate forum. Thanks.

22. un1ty macrumors member

23. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik