Seeking opinions on selling iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by drewfus, Sep 20, 2013.

1. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

OK, so I'm not asking whether I should sell my iPhone 5 or not. Rather, the question is this: Someone on Craigslist is interested in buying my phone, and he inquired as to whether I had a Square reader so he could pay with a card.

I've used the reader a bunch, in letting people pay me for music lessons and such, but that's usually a much smaller amount of money. Would you guys be reticent to use this as a method of payment, given that someone could potentially call the credit card company and say that they didn't authorize the payment after the fact? Or has anyone done this and not had an issue with it before?

Any thoughts/past experiences with this would be helpful! Thanks all. :)

2. KaijuRed macrumors regular

Cash. Only.

3. tmc0124 macrumors newbie

Only use cash on craigslist lots of scammers hit craigslists. You might try online trade sites I used www.exchangeit.us got my money quickly and they offered more then gazelle. If you can't sell via craigslist I would say online trade sites or eBay is your best bet.

4. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

I have been offered paypal in person, can you believe that? ... And they weren't even Africans!

CL = Cash only, no exceptions.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sure if he lets you take a picture of his photo ID as well.

6. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Yeah but the bank can say he found the id in his wallet the guy lost:rolleyes:

7. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

Cash only. No exceptions.

Other tips:
    Always meet in public space - on your terms; it should also be a place that you are familiar with. The buyer could be working with a partner - so be aware of your surroundings and be cautious when you leave (yes, I'm paranoid!)

I would highly recommend the inside of a bank; you can immediately deposit the money, ensure the bills are legit, and you're not walking around with that large sum of cash.

If you can't meet in a bank, buy a $5 counterfeit detector pen (Staples sells them). Mark EVERY bill from left to right.

When posting on Craigslist, set up a Google Voice number. There are a ton of sketchy and low-ballers!

8. bigjim83 macrumors 6502

I just use eBay. A lot less risk involved when selling in my opinion.

9. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Actually I think it's a lot more risky selling on eBay because the buyer has 45 days to file a case against the seller. I had a guy buy a phone from me and then wrote me 35 days later saying the phone wasn't working right and paypal gave him his money back!!!. With craigslist, once the sale is done, it's done!. I understand it's safer selling on eBay but just be smart about how you sell on craigslist. Meet in a public place like inside of a Starbucks, bank, mall and accept only cash and you're good to go. Also no fees on Craigslist.