Seeking resistor value on MagSafe board

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fishbones80, Apr 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fishbones80 macrumors newbie

fishbones80

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone might be able to tell me the resistor value (at least I believe it's a resistor) on a 2009 850-2565-A magsafe board.

My father had his laptop serviced recently for a screen replacement. Unfortunately, during the repair it seems evident a surface mount resistor was carelessly torn off from the board.

I've attached a picture showing the missing component. I would be very grateful if someone could identify the missing component for me so I can order and solder a new one back on.

[​IMG]

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
    -Fish

Attached Files:

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Well assuming you had it done by a reputable firm take it back and make them fix it.

3. fishbones80 thread starter macrumors newbie

fishbones80

Hi Samuelsan, thanks for replying,

So after the laptop had its screen replaced, my father noticed it wasn't charging anymore when he got it back. He sent it back but after a few days the tech gave up. There was no charge for the 2nd visit, however the only recourse was to purchase a mainboard replacement from them.

That's when I offered to look at it and found this problem (and hopefully the only one). I have zero intention of giving that repair shop further opportunity for continued misuse of my father's property when their business model evidently permits the aforementioned.

I see that there are replacement boards you can get online for $20-40CAD, but I'd rather it be <$10 1/2-day delivery resistor order from Digikey when I have the tools and modest ability to solder an 0402 resistor.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

5. fishbones80 thread starter macrumors newbie

fishbones80

Fixed.

After a number of phone calls to some local shops I found a tech who had a busted magsafe board he was willing to give away for free. A quick solder job later and the ~0.470 ohm resistor has gone to a new home.

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

7. fishbones80 thread starter macrumors newbie

fishbones80

Yup, all charged and ready to be returned.