Seeking training aids for video editing

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by aaronvan, Feb 7, 2014.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I’d like to teach myself video editing and I’m looking for a source of free, public-domain video files (of anything) that I can use to practice editing. AVCHD is preferred, I guess, but I'm interested in any format. I can only do so much with video shot from my iPhone, and I would like practice using other focal lengths, compositions, etc. Does such a resource exist?

2. daybreak macrumors 6502a

Go on YouTube and just key in what you want to learn. If you going to go into video editing you will need to buy some material. iPhone will be limited.

3. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

YouTube has TONS of excellent training videos on iMovie, FCP, and anything else you might want to learn. I even fixed my washing machine with help from a YouTube video that someone uploaded. :D

I hope to find random 10 - 30 seconds video clips that are compatible with iMovie and/or FCP so I can practice various video editing tasks. Not too concerned with content. They are available for purchase from several vendors but I'm looking from something free as in beer and speech.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

Phone work well enough. You just move closer up to frame the close up shots.

At some point you will need to spring for a real video camera. A cheap (under $200) consumer camcorder can do really good work if (1) you use a tripod and (2) you have enough light. These cameras del even cheaper if y can find a refurb or used or open box deal.

One source of good footage is TV shows and movies. You can download these. They are copyrighted but you can do what you want for your own education so long as you don't redistribute. So get a few hours of a Tv show and re-cut it to tell a different story.

But really, you need a camera, look around there are some really good deals out there.

5. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan