Seeking Unibody 13" 8 GB RAM supplier

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by steffi, Jan 3, 2010.

1. steffi macrumors 6502a

I'm in IL which means OWC includes TAX but shipping is fast even with ground.

Otherwise can anybody suggest a good option for reliable 4 GB's DIMMS to take a 4GB 13" Unibody all the way up to 8 GB?

2. Dozerrox macrumors 6502

Out of interest, what do you need 8 gigs of ram for?

3. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Right Here. G. Skill 8GB DDR3 SO DIMM. Newegg so no tax for IL. Read reviews, proven to work with MacBook Pro.

4. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Certainly cheaper. Any idea how this compares to that offered by OWC then? Other than the cheaper price ;-)

5. Sneakz macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Same exact specs. Same speed, same voltage, same latency. OWC just has higher markup (like many other products on their site). Save $76, tax and get free shipping. No reason to not go with Newegg.

6. iAmBeer macrumors newbie

IMO...newegg is the best resource for all computer stuffs :)
    and I also plan to buy that ram after I have enough money :p

7. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

I'm also a bit curious.

I'm just hoping you will use it and not waste money on something you won't use.

Well NewEgg has these. Note that 4 of them are 1066mhz which is used by MBP's. But I assume the 1333mhz will work also and will just be down clocked (But useless to spend extra on something you can't use)

8. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

I rarely ever exceed 3Gb of RAM usage, have an outstanding page in versus out ratio, and never reboot unless software installation requires it, and I am not exactly a light-weight user. 2Gb RAM is nowhere near enough for me under SL.

IMO, you would be much better served with getting 4Gb and using the money saved for an SSD. By the time you might actually need more than 4gigs, 4Gb modules will surely drop dramatically in price.

9. DaReaper macrumors member

8 gigs of memory??? i didnt think anyone would need more then 4...

10. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Only folks who do lots of massive Photoshop images, heavy video rendering, etc. Most of us will never reach over 4Gb with normal to somewhat heavy use. Like I said, I've never been able to hit 4Gb even on Windows 7 if I have a full game minimized, Photoshop editing some images, a video minimized, lots of images open, FireFox with 6 tabs, etc.

11. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I got mine from OWC, which so far has always proved reliable. I recommend buying from a reliable/established party just in case you have issues and need to deal with their customer service.

12. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Took all these fully loaded in game to max out my usage. Once I launched the last one the system slowed down with swapping files.

Also Dragon Age like to use up 100% of my CPU :(

13. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

My machine already has a 160 GB intel X-25M that i'm using so I figure the only other place is memory.

14. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Leave it to virtual machines to eat up all the RAM you have.

15. MikeSantor macrumors regular

Great thread. I too am from Chicago and was trying to find away around paying uncle Sam. I get near my 4 Gig limit when running parallels, Win7, a game (c&c) and have Itunes open or am streaming music from someplace like Pandora. On top of that I may have some sort of TCP packet capturing program running. Im damn close to needing more then 4...

16. steffi thread starter macrumors 6502a

So let's say that 8 GB is too much what is the downside in going Asymetric with 6 GB ie. 4gb + 2gb and then having the option to swap out 2gb later.

So, what is the performance penalty you pay by going Asymetric?

Obviously with an SSD page in/outs are pretty fast but still nowhere near as fast as RAM.

17. MikeSantor macrumors regular

From what I can remember you lose the Duel channel support (or in this case quad channels?) From what I remember the computer can only use a single channel when sticks are not paired identically.

18. giffut macrumors 6502

The ..

... effect of having single channel memory is more or less a benchmark dummy and will not by any means result in a slower machine for you in everyday use - especially considering you have a notebook here and won´t use it to render 4k special effects with it. If money is a real concern, just buy what you can afford.

19. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

You lose some memory bandwidth. I am not sure how much it affects real life performance since most stuff stays in the RAM for a while and doesn't get constantly processed.

As for 8gb being too much, you just can't have too much RAM. In windows after 2 hours SPSS, MS SQL Server, R and SAS along with a couple of word documents and an Access database you can easily consume 3 or 4 gigabytes of RAM.

20. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I second that... but add MULTILOG, BILOG, PARSCALE, LISREL, and Mplus to that list of wonderful statistics software.

21. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

VM huh? Thats my desktop :)