Seems a little sluggish

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DJAKO, Jan 26, 2008.

1. DJAKO macrumors 6502a

I bought a Macbook Po last year, 2.33GHz C2D with 2GB of Ram.

As of lately everything seems to be a bit more sluggish than usual.

I was thinking about tossing in another gig of ram. So buying a 2GB chip and leaving my 1GB one in there. My MBP is pre santa rosa, so going 4GB isn't really an option.

I was considering on doing a free install and basically whipping my HD clean, but I hate having to re install and add everything again.

Do you guys have any suggestions on how to clean up my computer, make it speed up a bit :)

2. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

What size is your hard drive? And how much free space has it got?
    But adding more ram will give it a great speed boost. You will be amazed at how much of a difference it makes!

3. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

permission repair or you could try downloading onyx or something similar to clean up ur system

4. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

120GB HD with about 37GB free.

5. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I posted this in another thread, but give it a try and see if it helps. :)

1. Clear Safari's cache, that way you don't have eons of internet cruft floating around on your computer. You can do this by clicking "Safari" in the menu bar and then click on "Empty cache". This will delete all of the cached pictures, HTML pages, etc that you've viewed on the internet.

2. Use a utility like "OnyX" to run all of the maintenance scripts on the Mac or leave it run overnight without sleep mode so that these scripts run.

3. Uninstall applications that you don't use -- if you installed "Application A" last year and you no longer use it, it's probably safe to remove it. Just don't remove the applications that come with Mac OS X.

4. Burn old or unused files to a disc like a CD or DVD and then remove them from your hard disk to reclaim some hard drive space.

5. Make sure you don't have a lot of images or other files on the desktop, as Mac OS X will render thumbnails and your computer may "feel" slower.

6. Repair disk permissions by running Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.app) -- select your hard drive and click on "Repair permissions".

7. Last but not least, once you've done all of this, restart.

This should help bring your system back to "good-as-new" status. You could also try an "Archive and Install" if you're really feeling up to it.

6. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks buddy, didn't see this is the other thread when I was looking around. I'll give it a try today. Really appreciate it.

7. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I have the same laptop and had some speed issues with leopard. So I decided what time is more perfect to test the Time Machine restore then now. So I did and my system hasn't had an issue with slow downs. Don't ask me why but it resolved my issue.

A possible disk repair and as the other user stated, Oynx should help do some clean up for you.

8. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is that time machine setup you are talking about? Did you just reinstall leopard and when prompted you picked the Time Machine setup or whatever it's called?

9. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Basically you boot up the leopard disc, do the install, but then after the install it asks if you have a time machine restore. You select that you do and it restores the files etc. Actually worked!

10. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretty cool, so nothing was lost?

11. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Not that I know of. It took the latest backup I did and restored it. I usually have my external drive hooked up to my MBP all the time so it does keep up with the backups.

12. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretty sweet, how long did the transfer take? I imagine it could take quite some time

13. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

The size was about 14gig so it took about 20 mins I believe. Could've been shorter cause some files were smaller then others.

14. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ran OnyX and got all of these messages...is this normal? How can I fix them.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• OnyX.jpg
      OnyX.jpg
      File size:
      124.7 KB
      Views:
  15. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

Run permissions repair through Disk Utility instead of Onyx.

Also, are you running Tiger or Leopard?

16. DJAKO thread starter macrumors 6502a

I ran it through DU and got similar messages too...I read somewhere on this forum that errors like

I'm running Leopard.

Guess these errors are normal, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=306925