Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JSt83

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
I installed this app that needed Oracle Java 7, so I installed that as well. Turns out the app don't work, so I deleted it. Wanted to do the same for Oracle Java 7, but this turns out to be difficult. Followed these directions:

Uninstalling Oracle Java only involves deleting the Java Plugin file JavaAppletPlugin.plugin.

Note: To uninstall Java 7, you must have Administrator privileges.
Click on the Finder icon located in your dock
Click on Applications tab on the sidebar
In the Search box enter JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
This will find the JavaAppletPlugin.plugin file
Right click on JavaAppletPlugin.plugin and select Move to Trash

So you'd say it's gone. System preferences keeps showing this 'preference panel' (note: literal translation) icon. Can I completely uninstall it?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
So you'd say it's gone. System preferences keeps showing this 'preference panel' (note: literal translation) icon. Can I completely uninstall it?

All you removed was the Java web plugin.

Code:
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

Go to this folder and delete the folder that starts with jdk1.7...

Then to remove the pref pane just right click on it and click Remove Java Preference Pane".

JSt83

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
All you removed was the Java web plugin.

Code:
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

Go to this folder and delete the folder that starts with jdk1.7...

Then to remove the pref pane just right click on it and click Remove Java Preference Pane".

Thanks, these folders seem to be empty though...

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Thanks, these folders seem to be empty though...

Okay, then you should just have the Pref Pane left. Did you try to right click on it to remove it? That works on my system (below).

s1XEhdw.png

JSt83

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2014
Okay, then you should just have the Pref Pane left. Did you try to right click on it to remove it? That works on my system (below).

Yeah, I tried that, it says it can't remove it because an error occurred.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Yeah, I tried that, it says it can't remove it because an error occurred.

Okay... looks like the pref pane is actually just an alias to a file inside the plugin you already deleted, hence the error. Go to this folder and delete the JavaControlPanel.prefPane and that should kill it off. You may need to logout then back in after.

Code:
/Library/PreferencePanes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.