iPad mini Seems Like Mini will be huge in the Auto Field

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Scarpad, Nov 14, 2012.

1. Scarpad macrumors 68000

Scarpad

I already see so many postings on the mini being used in Auto's for its music management potential and Maps etc. It seems like there will be a big market for it here as its the perfect size for car use. I'm probably gonna pick one up now and when the retina comes ot will retire it to my mustang for use with my Kenwood Media player. Anyone else thinking about doing the same?

2. urkel macrumors 68030

The amount of limitations for the current iPad Mini makes it more a novelty than an ideal car solution.
    - Screen is extremely reflective
    - OS/UI isnt optimized for 7.9" handheld use (4-12" away) let alone car use (24-36" away)
    - Unsafe. Built in dashboard hardware is optimized for driving. This is not.
    - WiFi Model has no GPS
    - Siri requires too much manual approval for tasks which limits true "hands free"
    - Siri integration for Nav requires persistent internet since Maps arent downloadable

Im sure its a fun project but its not very practical for real world usage. Personally, the idea of iOS in the car is great but Id rather see Apple partner in to existing car manufacturers rather than force a small tablet into a dash just because it fits.

3. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Your reasons are poor and can be easily solved:

- Screen is extremely reflective - No more so than any tablet IMO. If it really bothers a person they can get one of those anti-reflective screen protectors

- OS/UI isnt optimized for 7.9" handheld use (4-12" away) let alone car use (24-36" away) - I'm not sure if you're complaining about the size of the icons or the non retina display... but I can use my iPad Mini from 12" away with ZERO issues.

- Unsafe. Built in dashboard hardware is optimized for driving. This is not. - I believe that the safer car dashboard shuts off controls when the car is in motion, meaning YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE USING IT WHILE CAR IS IN MOTION anyway.

- WiFi Model has no GPS - LTE/GPS model comes out Friday.

- Siri requires too much manual approval for tasks which limits true "hands free" Get a Bluetooth remote/Speakerphone. I bought one for 15 dollars that is solar powered and suctioned to my window. I hold down the button Siri activates. I'm sure a solution that goes on your steering wheel isn't a difficult solution to make if it doesn't already exist.

- Siri integration for Nav requires persistent internet since Maps arent downloadable - LTE/GPS model comes out Friday.

Honestly posts like this one are more like excuses to convince one's self to not buy a product. I understand you're voicing your internal struggle over the matter but it equates to poor information you're giving the uneducated public looking for knowledge.

The best solution to further projects like this would be an App or a built-in car mode API that pops up when you jack your iPad into your car.

An iPad properly integrated into a car is genius. It's only those who lack creativity that can't see the bigger picture.

4. ttexxan macrumors regular

how do you turn it off and on if its mounted in the dash?? Also how would you adjust the volume and other functions might want to acess

5. KatanaAzul macrumors member

I've been using my iPhone mounted to my windshield for music and GPS, and at 24-36" it's still very usable. It all depends on the apps (I use Groove 2 for music, and Waze for nav, but im pretty sure most nav solutions are built with big UI elements anyway).

I imagine an iPad mini would be even safer and easier to use. I've been tempted to get a mount, but since I already use my phone I don't see the point (except for maybe mounting it someplace that my passengers could use it to watch movies). Also, if you wanted use a wifi model for navigation, all you would need is an app with offline maps (like NavFree) and an external GPS (I use the Bad Elf Pro 2200 for flying, and I'm sure it would work great in a car).

6. MacinTosh.0 macrumors member

I have a buddy of mine talking to an audio shop about integrating an LTE model in to his dash and make it detachable as well. He wants to stream everything via Bluetooth. I've seen the online videos of others doing this. He's trying to get them to also split the video feed to a rear monitor for his kids. I'm actually excited to see it and hear it when it's completed.

7. urkel macrumors 68030

Here we go. :rolleyes: So are you pretending to be the wise one and giving the "educated" response on how to take a device intended for handheld use and making it ideal for vehicular use?

I own two iPad Mini's and while I think it would be fun to have a Mini mounted in my car, in the end then this isn't an installation like putting in a new car radio, it's a project that requires a lot of compromise which is why I voiced an OPINION. There are no black and white rules in discussing it so get off your high horse.

Oh please. Link me to your gallery of "creativity" because I'm curious as to what makes you such an expert on educating the world on how to do creative projects with two unrelated products.

(Sorry for the outburst to everyone else. I really do think its a cool project but this idea that "creativity" can't have discussions about reality is ridiculous.)

Attached Files:

8. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

And yet you ignore all my counter points to your "issues"...

I already solved the problems you have. I have nothing more to inform you about.

You telling the OP that something is a bad idea because you can't creatively solve it is wrong. Glad you like living inside the box.