Seems like Snow Leopard will have to be on hold for me

Discussion in 'macOS' started by STC1709, Aug 29, 2009.

  1. STC1709 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #1
    Ok so after further review and reading threads I have come to the final conclusion.

    My GF bought the UTD disc and I bought the $29 disc.

    After reading that people are having issues with using the upgrade method as well as some issues after a clean install. I am just going to wait until the bugs are fixed before i do any upgrade.

    Both of our macs work very fast, no issues, no bugs and i'd like to keep it that way. Especially with school coming up i dont need to be bothered worrying about crashing programs and what slow response times.

    Whether its clean install or not there still seems to be issues so I will have to wait for the first update. I also dont feel that our macs need to be done via clean install because mine was bought in may and my gf's in june. Nothing really has been installed.

    With all this being said I am going to return my copy of SL and take a refund of the $29. My gf is going to keep hers because the UTD program price doesn't last forever so she mind as well keep hers for when I do the upgrade or clean install. When the time comes that the 10.6.1 is released i will then go ahead and do a clean install my mac or do the upgrade. Even if I decided to do it now I wouldn't know which path to take given the fact that our macs are pretty new, and both of us being first time mac owners i dont know a heck of a lot about them yet god for bid something should happen.

    Any thoughts or opinions are welcome
     
  2. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2009
    #2
    Sounds like you're looking for approval. :D

    Ignore the upgrade frenzy and mass SL hysteria around here. It really is OK to wait. I'm perfectly content with 10.5.8 at the moment.
     
  3. sputacus macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Location:
    Duncanville TX
    #3
    The last thing I did before upgrading to SL was to make a clone of 10.5.8 and made sure it worked. This allowed me the option to immediately to easily go back to 10.5.8 in the exact state I left it, in case 10.6 had issues on my system. Thus far, 10.6 has been outstanding, giving me better performance - I haven't had any problems with it.

    I agree that as long as you're happy with 10.5.8, there's no need to rush to 10.6. I was pleased with my system at 10.5.8, and I am fully willing to rollback at the first sign of trouble with 10.6...
     
  4. goMac macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2004
    #4
    I upgraded 3 Macs over the last week, all without issue.

    Really, it's fine. :)
     
  5. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

    Lesser Evets

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2006
    #5
    I got the update yesterday and installed, so now I've run SL for a day...

    WAIT AND INSTALL LATER.

    This isn't such a bad OS, and it isn't absolutely crap, but it does have rough edges and is annoying at time. Lots of programs bug out and tank. Some, like VLC, just don't work yet.

    Once 10.6.1 comes along you should be fine.
     
  6. STC1709 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #6
    If you have the original Leopard disk that came with your mac is there a need to do that?
     
  7. C64 macrumors 65816

    C64

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2008
    #7
    And then buy it again in a month? Lol.
     
  8. STC1709 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #8
    Yea thats what i was really leaning towards because the little computer things get me irritate.

    I just wonder how long it will take for the 10.6.1 to come out and whether it will come updated on the disc with 10.6.0
     
  9. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

    AppleNewton

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2007
    Location:
    1 Finite Place
    #9
    I think Snow Leopard has some nice features but right now, i still need to use applications that are not going to be supported under SL...so leopard has been flawless to use for me.

    I just dont have the extra cash to upgrade to CS4 or CSetc


    As far as issues doing "Clean Installations" I had no problem installing a blank drive into my spare Macbook, inserting the SL disc and doing it from a blank install.
    It just doesnt have that prompt unless you actually have Leopard installed...so I see what they did there and that makes sense.
     
  10. ChazUK macrumors 603

    ChazUK

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2008
    Location:
    Essex (UK)
    #10
    My guess is that they'd restore from the clone and have a system just as it was before their Snow Leopard experiment without having to reinstall apps e.t.c. ;)
     
  11. HLdan macrumors 603

    HLdan

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2007
    #11
    You obviously missed THE SPAZ's thread about having a fantastic Snow Leopard experience. Makes no sense to return a an OS that you only paid $30 for. It will get updates soon and then you will want to go back and buy it again, just keep it. Sorry man, but your thread sounds a little like your wallowing in a bit of self pity. :p
     
  12. sputacus macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2009
    Location:
    Duncanville TX
    #12
    Yes, I have the original disk. But I travel a lot and I leave ALL original disks at home. I carry an external hard drive with a clone of my system - it allows me to back up my system while I'm on the road, operate my system in case of a failure of my internal drive, and restore my system (with all applications and settings) if I have to replace my hard drive on the road.

    I never tried to restore using my Leopard disk and time machine - my guess is restoring from a clone is faster. I know it's more convenient.
     
  13. robanga macrumors 68000

    robanga

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2007
    Location:
    Oregon
    #13
    Installing it on the 4th Mac at home today, no problems with any of them.
     
  14. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

    deputy_doofy

    Joined:
    Sep 11, 2002
    #14
    I agree on waiting. It hosed my Finder, which thinks "Macintosh HD" is an alias that doesn't point to anything. Accordingly, it cannot locate the users folder or my home folder. Thankfully, the files still exist I can get to all of them via the terminal. Ultimately, per Apple level 1 & 2 support, I have to back-up and do a full re-install. :(
     
  15. Cougarcat macrumors 604

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2003
    #15
    Well, I think you're crazy for considering taking it back. I just installed it on my 2008 iMac, and everything is faster--expose is smoother, the Finder never, ever lags, and Mail is instantaneous in just about everything. It's a huge improvement. As long as your applications are supported, there is no reason not to upgrade.

    Remember, people who have problems are more likely to post on a forum like this than the people who have no problems.

    At the very least, just keep it around and install it when 10.6.1 comes along. If past history is any indication, we'll see it in a few weeks. But 10.6.0 is very solid, much more solid than 10.5.0 was.
     
  16. Julien macrumors G3

    Julien

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2007
    Location:
    Atlanta
    #16
    You may as will keep the disc and just upgrade after the first update (or 2ed). Also there will always be bugs.;)
     
  17. david803sc macrumors member

    david803sc

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    Lake Wylie, SC
    #17
    The problems are not as much with Snow Leopard but with 3rd Party Apps, (I am not saying there are not any SL bugs) I am just saying most of the upgrading problems are compatibility issues with non apple apps.

    With that said I tried to upgrade my iMac and could't because I believe of PGP, had to do a fresh install, and now that it is back up restored and fully running with the fresh install I am happy with it.

    my other mac ran slow after a successful upgrade, so I wiped it and did a fresh install and now it is running better than ever.

    David
     
  18. xlii macrumors 68000

    xlii

    Joined:
    Sep 19, 2006
    Location:
    Millis, Massachusetts
    #18
    I'd say wait till the Christmas break. As you said, with school starting up why take the risk of some the the programs you need for school not working in SL yet. That is exactly what I'm advising my daughter who goes to college. Me, I'm going to update... now if Apple would just send me the disk I ordered back on 1 August and shipped only today. I should have it by next friday.
     
  19. STC1709 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    May 27, 2009
    #19
    Yea thats probably what I will do. Just wait for new updates to come out for SL to try and fix all the bugs as much as a possible, and for 3rd party apps to become more compatible.

    The reason why i would return the disc is that I have a feeling that when the SL gets the updates for big fixes they will just make the upgrade disc with those updates on it. I mean i dont know the history of how apple does this, unless the only way to get the updates is to just download it right from your mac like you would do any other software update.
     

Share This Page