Seems slower that 10.6.8

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by elgrecomac, Jul 21, 2011.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

I am running a 17" 2008 MBP with 6 Gb of RAM. MY initial feeling is the the OS is slower (as in beach balls spinning) and definitely boot up is slower, Firefox is slower. I have turned off natural scrolling but the system seem 'sluggish'.

May have to rewind /reload by backup of 10.6.8

Suggestions are appreciated.
    :eek:

2. davedude macrumors member

Works faster than Snow Leopard did for me on my MBP 13" w/4GB+64GB SSD. Mind you, I did a clean install.

3. d3ath macrumors newbie

d3ath

I agree with elgrecomac. It does seem more sluggish than 10.6.8. Mind the fact that I didn't do a clean install and I upgraded it on my mid-2009 MBP 15''.
    Anyone else has this problem who didn't do a clean install?

4. Photo Monkey macrumors member

On my MacBook Pro 2.66GHz Core 2 Duo with 4GB: iTunes feels faster, due to the 64-bitness probably, and Safari is way quicker too – but my machine generally feels slower. I’m just about to do a clean install now, always do when there’s a new OS, I appreciate that you can easily upgrade, but 18 months with an install is always going to clutter up with rubbish.

5. CptAwesome macrumors member

Well, i can't say that i agree it seems slower as it feels just as fast if not faster than SL. I'm rather impressed how quick and buggy it is for a dot zero release. Could be due to the fact that i did clean installs on both of my machines?

Thanks

6. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

So far it's felt about the same for me, though in the Dashboard it takes much longer to load up the widgets that update (weather, news feeds, etc.).

Shutting down takes a few more seconds now too.

7. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

8. clarencek macrumors member

Much slower for me as well, but I think I'm going to buy a new i5 machine. It's about time.

9. Izis macrumors newbie

Same here... And the "bigger effect" on dock's icons seems more laggy than before. Also the scroll in the Finder is so painfull. I upgraded, this is because of this you think ? Do you have the same problems guys ?

If you do that could you tell us if it has improved your performance ?

Clean install ?

10. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I did an upgrade install and it does seem a bit slower to me. Especially in Safari when swiping back a page there seems to be a bit of a lag after the swipe animation completes.
    Anyway, if I wanted to do a clean install could I just boot to the DVD I created before the Lion install then restore from Time Machine? Or would I need to reinstall all my apps one at a time and move all my data back to get the full "clean install goodness"? :)

11. Jyby macrumors 6502

I definitely noticed slow downs in graphics performance and general booting/loading lag. I believe this is relative to the amount of RAM my system has. 4GBs is definetly a minimal requirement.

I do hope they improve performance!

12. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

13. wolfpackfan macrumors 68000

I agree except I find it interesting that both the new MBA and mini's only have 2GB and come pre-loaded with Lion.

14. gentlefury macrumors 68030

My mac pro seems much faster...I haven't played with the mini yet....screen share is basically real time now...which is really awesome!

15. Tonewheel, Jul 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

Tonewheel macrumors 6502a

2008 Mac Pro, maxed out on RAM, is definitely much faster and smoother. Here's the caveat....

After I upgraded the OS (no clean install...waste of time, frankly), it seemed as though the machine had to "learn" new things and get things sorted out. Spotlight indexed incorrectly and I had to force a reindexing. Safari Top Sites were blank for hours before preview pages showed up. And many things like this. It took a couple of restarts for things to correct themselves, but now it's pretty much running like a top-tuned system and I couldn't be happier. Very stable, smooth and no major beefs.

Also ran Diskwarrior from a laptop with the Mac Pro in target disk mode, and rebuilt the Directory which had many errors.

16. djshack macrumors regular

Upgraded my mid-2010 MacBook Pro from Snow Leopard. Definitely seems slower, laggier, and less smooth. I don't like it.

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Always do a clean install when migrating to a new OS. Upgrading means you're bringing old cruft which more often than not will impact performance.

18. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

old mini and clean install. actually seems faster in use than 10.6.x, but boot times seem to be slower. not by much, but just noticeable.

since i only reboot about every other year, that will work just fine.