Seems that China is leading gene modification

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Shirasaki, Nov 20, 2016.

1. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

You have no idea if the Chinese could genetically engineer super human space marines in the near future?

Really?

Maybe it's time to stop gaming...

3. Shirasaki thread starter macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Your word is strange.
    Why " I have idea"?

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I'm using your words.

5. Shirasaki thread starter macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Yeah. You use my words.
    Then why you say "time to stop gaming"?

6. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Because you seem to be confusing entertainment with reality by seriously considering the idea of "super human space marines" in the near future.

I can't blame you too much: that first article implicitly asserts a relatively simplistic relationship between genetics and phenotypes while simultaneously suggesting that something out of science fiction is imminently arriving.

7. Shirasaki thread starter macrumors 603

Shirasaki

The only reason i bring space marine on stage is they are "genetically modified fighters", based on game world setting.
    Well, this is the only link between news and that game.

8. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Although GATTACA is science fiction, the world in the story seems almost inevitable to me.

I.E. once we have a high proportion of designer babies, there will be class issues between very good-looking, highly intelligent, super healthy, designed humans, and "normies".

9. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I fully appreciate your concerns. But since we don't even know how and to what extent genetics influences those traits, the immediate problem is that people seeking to do just that could introduce genetic variation into the germline without fully understanding the consequences.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Hmm, yeah. Man, if we think we have helicopter parenting problems now, imagine when each pair of parents is nurturing its one-off kid engineered to be special in some certain way and demanding that that kid be recognized for that certain specialness... but meanwhile they're all focused on dominant expression of a subset of human traits, ignoring how other and possibly dependent traits are evolving --temporarily-- as recessives. And forgetting that we already have humans who are each unique, even if they're identical quadruplets,and that that's a very useful feature of evolution.

It's so weird what we aspire to when we have been given so much to work with.

11. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

No need for super space marines. The Chinese will simply replicate Steve Jobs DNA and start producing 99% of the world's innovations for centuries to come.

12. Shirasaki thread starter macrumors 603

Shirasaki

That is, of course, if Chinese are capable of extracting DNA from dead body and reactivate them. Or perhaps they are simply not allowed.
    But what if they revive their moral leader Mao, and lead their infamous party to conquer the world? This is more dangerous than reviving Steve Jobs.

13. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Science fiction.

14. Shirasaki thread starter macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Okay... if reviving dead people is still impossible, at least we don't need to worry about that that much.

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

The dead are dead, and they will stay dead. There's no need to worry at all.

16. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Unless they are un-dead. The Undead don't want to stay dead. They would rather un-die…. so they can eat your brainnnsss!

17. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

18. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

I am glad we can have comic book level discussion about genetics here rather than in places where decisions count. Makes for an amusing fast read and chortle.

19. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

No ethical boundaries. What could possibly go wrong?

20. Shirasaki thread starter macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Remains unclear. But I fear china could use this tech to do something not good. Their track record regarding human rights is always bad.