Seen the new planet?

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
Are you sure this is an April Fool's joke? Seemed pretty legit to me... of course, the planet in question is twice the size of Jupiter and, given the right conditions, could become a star itself.

Comment

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
clayjohanson said:
Are you sure this is an April Fool's joke? Seemed pretty legit to me... of course, the planet in question is twice the size of Jupiter and, given the right conditions, could become a star itself.
I'm not 100% sure (that's why the thread is still even here ;)), just seems quite amazing that such a rare thing would just happen to have been reported on on April 1st, don't you think?

Comment

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
edesignuk said:
I'm not 100% sure (that's why the thread is still even here ;)), just seems quite amazing that such a rare thing would just happen to have been reported on on April 1st, don't you think?
If they'd reported finding an Earthlike planet (in terms of size, not atmospheric composition), then I'd be skeptical. But it was just a matter of time before optics got good enough to resolve the disks of distant stars and planets (even if they are GIANT).

Comment

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
minesgeek said:
umm...looks a little too close to the star. might get burned up or something...
They said it's 100 AU from the star to the planet... the distance from the Sun to the Earth is 1 AU (8 light-minutes), so the planet is roughly 13 light-hours away from its primary star. Quite a big distance... Pluto's maximum distance from our Sun is not quite 50 AU.

Comment

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
There are bound to be other planets. So there is not reason not to believe, until the story is proven otherwise. I also thought I heard something about this somewhere else recently.

Comment

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
I highly doubt Yahoo would run an April Fool's joke. Some people (like me) get pissed off by fake news stories.

Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
Lacero said:
I highly doubt Yahoo would run an April Fool's joke. Some people (like me) get pissed off by fake news stories.
i would get pissed too, but its def. cool news that we are finally reaching out to these planets, even in this limited fashon.....

Comment

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Yes yes, we all understand that there are other planets out there that we haven't seen. And eventually, many will be found and reported. I don't think that is in dispute.

What IS in dispute is whether THIS particular event is real. Yes, the possibility of discovering other planets is not zero, but is this particular "discovery" a real discovery, or just a joke?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.