Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

distemp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
MANY people who ordered after me are either prepared for shipment, shipped, or they're using their iPad right now. Apple is losing a big fan FAST with this circus.

Krandor

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
MANY people who ordered after me are either prepared for shipment, shipped, or they're using their iPad right now. Apple is losing a big fan FAST with this circus.

Are the ones who have already shipped different models then yours?

distemp

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2011
Are the ones who have already shipped different models then yours?

Some yes, some no.

That's part of the problem anyway: there are SEVENTEEN other models besides the one I ordered that Apple has to manufacture and send out. I feel like this company has never had a product launch before because it's been handled so badly.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
That's what happens when a company under estimates the demand and adds another dimension at the start, i.e. adding white at launch. 18 models at the start and attempt to manufacture them to meet all of the unique requests of the customers AT LAUNCH + go through a huge disaster with a country that is a supplier to that launch to go smoothly = unforesceen results and huge mishaps.

Apple would have never done this on purpose. Look at all of their other launches in contrast to this one and you'll see a lot of similarities as well as seemingly mynute changes that can honestly derail a smooth operation.

Another strong possibility may be that they wanted to launch before their competitors to keep the edge on the market. That may have played a major delay as the suppliers of the parts may have been very much unprepared for such volume production.

The customer base has learned a valuable lesson as well as Apple. lol .. I'm pretty sure they won't do this again!!

This is just my view of it though...what do I know??

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
I can understand a sigh, or wishing that it would ship sooner. But SEETHING? Not even "seething" - "SEETHING" in all caps.

Seriously, chill out. It's just an iPad. You aren't waiting on life-saving prescription meds or HIV test results.

Synthion

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2011
Do you understand HOW MANY PEOPLE WANT AN iPAD 2?!?!??!?!!

I surprised they haven't run out and their website crashed. What if LG handled this? Samsung? Yeah, didn't think so.

Yeah, they could have done more, they did underestimate, but be thankful that they were THIS efficient.

mgchan

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2011
Do you understand HOW MANY PEOPLE WANT AN iPAD 2?!?!??!?!!

I surprised they haven't run out and their website crashed. What if LG handled this? Samsung? Yeah, didn't think so.

Yeah, they could have done more, they did underestimate, but be thankful that they were THIS efficient.

I don't think they underestimated demand. I think they knew they couldn't fulfill demand but released it anyway, either to generate long lines, beat other tablets to market, and/or to fit their desired product cycle (e.g. move it away from the new iPhone launch).

Announcing a product just a week before release just doesn't feel like Apple. Maybe they over-reacted to the perceived lack of demand for the Verizon iPhone. Typically they would take some pre-orders or something. Doesn't make sense to give retail stores only a few hours between receiving the product and launch time.

A typical launch would have been to take pre-orders online for a week, then release either today or next week. This way they know what models are popular, can crank up production for those during the week, etc.

ravenas

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2010
I don't think they underestimated demand. I think they knew they couldn't fulfill demand but released it anyway, either to generate long lines, beat other tablets to market, and/or to fit their desired product cycle (e.g. move it away from the new iPhone launch).

Announcing a product just a week before release just doesn't feel like Apple. Maybe they over-reacted to the perceived lack of demand for the Verizon iPhone. Typically they would take some pre-orders or something. Doesn't make sense to give retail stores only a few hours between receiving the product and launch time.

A typical launch would have been to take pre-orders online for a week, then release either today or next week. This way they know what models are popular, can crank up production for those during the week, etc.

That would have been logical and orderly. And incredibly boring nor newsworthy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.