Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one would you buy?

• Total voters

jarpod

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Speck has released the mac book air see thru hard shell...... for those with the macbook air WOOBLE... speck would eliminate it because youre giving your air 4 new feet....
Ive worked before with speck products and even though they get scratched a lot, your computer WILL always be clean and above that you can "paint" your computer....
Im about to pull the trigger on invisible shield..... why? because it was the only company offering protection for both, my MBA and my MBPRO...... having said that, speck released the air protection and now Im wondering... which one would you get?
both cost the same BTW.

ROB2246

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2008
Speck See Thru

I ordered the see thru case from Speck . I should get it on Wednesday. I will post my thoughts when I get it an put it on.
Rob

whitlecj

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
You probably can't go wrong with either. Speck makes some good cases though and I am sure the protection for the Air will be awesome.

fk51785

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2008
South Florida
I have the invisible shield and I like it alot. The speck case would be nice but I wouldn't want to put a plastic case to my MBA making it thicker.

SKINSnCANES

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008
I have the invisible shield and I like it alot. The speck case would be nice but I wouldn't want to put a plastic case to my MBA making it thicker.

I cant decide between the two...I keep going back and fourth...

If you have the hard case...you dont really need another case, you can just throw it in a bag.

If you have the invisible shield, you need to get another case...

I want to show off how thin it is, but the case makes it thicker...

Plastic on it probably looks cheep...

Im hoping people post their reviews and some photos!
Thanks

joegomolski

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2006
So CA
I wasn't sure I'd like the Invisibleshield when I ordered it. But once I had it installed, WOW!

I think it's prefect. My over riding desire is style, and maintaining the MBA's smallness.

But then that's just my opinion.

shfawaz

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
Detroit, MI
Invisible Shield-all the way. Best accessory for the MBA.

Just be prepared to take some time to carefully apply to your MBA.

Not for those who are not patient or get frustrated easily. However once it is installed, its the best protection outside of an actual case. Fit, look, and feel is great.

shfawaz

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2007
Detroit, MI
I cant decide between the two...I keep going back and fourth...

If you have the hard case...you dont really need another case, you can just throw it in a bag.

If you have the invisible shield, you need to get another case...

I want to show off how thin it is, but the case makes it thicker...

Plastic on it probably looks cheep...

Im hoping people post their reviews and some photos!
Thanks

Unless you are throwing the MBA into a bag with sharp edged rocks and razor blades, I doubt you will need another case for it when you throw it in a bag. Remember, the Invisible shield material is strong enough to withstand high velocity impacts from random object. As demoed by the manufacturer, the material used is the same as that used on military helicopter blades to protect them from airborne perils.

TanToday

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
Darned thing seems to almost DOUBLE the thickness of the MBAir at the thinnest sections.

Sheesh.

Isn't that the VERY REASON, you wanted the Air in the first place, to have the sleekest thinnest gal on the block to hang around with, to impress the other guys?

This reminds me of the fellow who spent a fortune wooing the rail thin NY model, only to take her home and tell her to put a snowsuit on so she wouldn't bang her hips on the table edges...hehehhe.

Sorry, got me my Air, got me my INVISIBLE SHEILD, and after a few months, it is PERFECT, not a ding or a dent, and IT is only 1mm thick.

But then, I could get BOTH, and a neoprene case, to go INSIDE my sleeve, to go INSIDE my custom bag, to go inside the knapsack to to inside the carrryall to go inside the .....

Sorry, couldn't resist! :p

jarpod

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
Darned thing seems to almost DOUBLE the thickness of the MBAir at the thinnest sections.

Sheesh.

Isn't that the VERY REASON, you wanted the Air in the first place, to have the sleekest thinnest gal on the block to hang around with, to impress the other guys?

This reminds me of the fellow who spent a fortune wooing the rail thin NY model, only to take her home and tell her to put a snowsuit on so she wouldn't bang her hips on the table edges...hehehhe.

Sorry, got me my Air, got me my INVISIBLE SHEILD, and after a few months, it is PERFECT, not a ding or a dent, and IT is only 1mm thick.

But then, I could get BOTH, and a neoprene case, to go INSIDE my sleeve, to go INSIDE my custom bag, to go inside the knapsack to to inside the carrryall to go inside the .....

I actually got my invisible shield.... why?
PRICE!!!!
I found a coupon that took 50% off your entire order!!!
I found it right after posting this thread and the coupon dissapeared 2 days later.
here's the coupon details:
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/shieldzone.com
I got one for my air, one for my 17 mbpro and 1 for my iphone and one for my brother's iphone!!!
total including shipping was 80 bucks ;)
GREAT DEAL!!! and my air will be kept as the slimmest most protected computer in the world!!!
yeah!

SKINSnCANES

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2008

Sheesh.

I bought the Speck case off amazon, came the next day (happened to ship from 30 miles from my house).

I love it, its great. I think the added thickness and weight is minimal. I bought it because I will be out of the country for the next month and I figured with this on it would handle it getting tossed around, throw in a book bag, set on the concrete by the pool... Its more security then the invisible shield in my opinion.

jarpod

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
I bought the Speck case off amazon, came the next day (happened to ship from 30 miles from my house).

I love it, its great. I think the added thickness and weight is minimal. I bought it because I will be out of the country for the next month and I figured with this on it would handle it getting tossed around, throw in a book bag, set on the concrete by the pool... Its more security then the invisible shield in my opinion.

I just installed my invisible shield on my mba and my mbpro17 and let me tell you guys that I LOVE THE DARN THING!!!! Ive never seen anything like this... I would highly recommend Invisibleshield over seethru!!!
Really, take my word! Its amazing!!!!!!
:):):);););)

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I actually got my invisible shield.... why?
PRICE!!!!
I found a coupon that took 50% off your entire order!!!
I found it right after posting this thread and the coupon dissapeared 2 days later.
here's the coupon details:
http://www.retailmenot.com/view/shieldzone.com
I got one for my air, one for my 17 mbpro and 1 for my iphone and one for my brother's iphone!!!
total including shipping was 80 bucks ;)
GREAT DEAL!!! and my air will be kept as the slimmest most protected computer in the world!!!
yeah!

Wish I could have found a coupon! Paid $40 for top, trackpad, clickbar and palmrest. Very good protection & ads no weight or thickness. Expensive and not as easy as one would think to install - patience required;). Warranty good. As others noted, really helps with grip when handling.
Only installed palmrest/top cover. Like to feel my trackpad smooth and slick.

I have a friend w. a Speck red MB cover and he loves it. It makes his apple shine red when on.. Not my cup of tea especially for my wee thin Air. It does ad some thickness but provides good protection.

brogwalkerh

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2008
apeelz

Personally, I prefer neither of the two, or an implementation of Speck SeeThru case and apeelz. I have used Speck's products, and while they do add bulk, I must admit they make a difference when I happen to run into something; they really help prevent dents too. As for the apeelz, they seem to help mostly with the scratches. Even with the SeeThru case, scratches sometimes occur when dust or sand or whatever gets underneath the case. And that is where the apeelz come in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.