Sega Megadrive 16bit on an HD TV???

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by iWoz, Aug 28, 2010.

1. iWoz macrumors 6502a

iWoz

Just gone retro and bought a sega megadrive off ebay.. However it didnt come with a cable to connect the console to the tv, only the power supply. Does anyone know what cable I need to purchase to get the game working on my tv? I've got a 50' samsung plasma

Thanks in advance, Im gaggin to play the old skool games :)

2. -SD- macrumors 6502

An RGB Scart cable will give you the best picture possible from the console itself. How well the TV handles the signal and the actual picture quality is another matter entirely.

If you have an original MD and you want stereo, you'll need a Scart cable that has a seperate heahphone jack coming from it that plugs into the front of the console. The MD2 outputs stereo from it's AV port so it's much neater. It's quite simple to build your own.

:apple:

3. iWoz thread starter macrumors 6502a

iWoz

ahh cool, im going to tesco in an hour, got a link to an image of the cable i need to purchase?

thanks

4. -SD- macrumors 6502

If only it was that simple...

It's not a standard Scart cable. It terminates in either an 8-pin Din or 9-pin Mini Din, depending on your model of Megadrive.

It's a trip to Maplins or getting one from eBay I'm afraid. This site has much better instructions if you fancy building one. It really is very simple. You may as well do the PAL/NTSC and 50/60Hz mods while you're at it. Have fun.

Oh, and Thunder Force III & IV FTW.

:apple:

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Some old systems like the NES had a composite cable right on the console itself. You'll have to get one of those odd looking RF-out leads to Scart and god knows how hard they are to find now. Since I got my Wii (Virtual Console) I've boxed up my Mega Drive. FWIW my Bravia and Samsung TV's dont run classic consoles too well. 16bit and under tend to have distorted images.

So good luck on your quest :D.