Seidio Innocase or Case-Mate Smooth ?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by V4705, Dec 31, 2009.

1. V4705 macrumors 6502

2. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I say Innocase. More protection up top and a better fit (I've seen videos of the Smooth where the top and bottom pieces just don't fit together quite right). I also like having the Apple logo exposed to use as a mirror (I can make sure I don't have any food stuck between my teeth:D). The logo is still protected on the Innocase so no worries there either. I also don't like how much the Smooth overlaps the screen - too much material there for me. I couldn't tell you which one is less bulky but I think they're pretty close - the Innocase is thinner than the Incase Slider, and the Smooth is as well.

3. V4705 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks!
    what about the durability of the external coating? can it\will it peel after sometime?

4. psywzrd macrumors 68030

The Innocase's exterior is very durable. I used one for almost a year on my 3G and it didn't chip or peel at all (in fact, it still looks almost brand-new); however, I got a new Innocase for my 3GS (I wanted the logo protection) and it did start to peel after a few months. I really think that case was defective though because I've never seen an Innocase peel like that (I have several friends with Innocases as well and none of their cases have peeled). I contacted Innocase about the peeling issue and they arranged for a replacement through the reseller I purchased my case from. So far I have no issues with the replacement but it's only been a few weeks.

Hopefully some others will chime in on the Innocase as well - it's a very underrated case. I really think it would be more popular if more people knew about it.

5. dread macrumors 6502a

I have owned both cases and I am currently using the innocase. Each scratches the iphone but in different places. The overlap on the smooth case prevents scratches on the bezel, but I did get two small scratches on the back of the iphone while using it. The innocase scratches the hell out of the bottom bezel, but the rest of the phone is still flawless after months of use.
    The innocase is definately sleeker and has better fitment. Like someone else said the smooth case is a bit off where it joins. Also annoying is that you have to remove the top of the smooth case to get the bottom off if you want to dock it, not sure why it works like this. Overall the innocase is smaller and I like that it doesn't cover any of the screen. Both work with screen protectors but you need to get the protector prefectly centered on the innocase otherwise it will peel up. With the smooth case this is not an issue and it goes over the protector. It should be noted that the smooth case scratches screen protectors where it overlaps the screen, but this is only visible with the case off. I suppose it would be possible to scratch the screen as well.
    The innocase seems more durable as well. Mine is still mint, but I am using the gray case which is a different material than the black. My friend has the black case and the material is chipping a little. The smooth case definately wears and the coating chips off a little. One thing to note with the gray case is that it is impossible to get off without modification. I sanded down the clip and now the case comes off with ease yet is still secure. I hear the other colors don't have this issue.
    As far as protection goes I would say the smooth case is probably better as it covers more of the screen. I like that the top is open so I can get to the sim without removing the case. Overall both off decent protection without adding much bulk.
    I would recommend the innocase having had both, its only flaw is the scratching of the lower bezel, but every case scratches part of the phone. Both of these cases are better than the incase slider imo
    Here is a link to my original review of the smooth case http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=734868&highlight=smooth+case

6. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I can vouch for dread's comment about the grey Innocase - I went through 3 of them trying to find one that wasn't impossible to remove. I finally gave up and went back to black (that's what I used on my 3G as well). I'm actually glad I went with black again because I like the finish better. The black is kind of a matte, marshmellow-type finish while the grey has a little more shine to it and it's not quite as soft. I don't know what it is about the grey ones but there is obviously an issue there so I would avoid it unless you really want a grey case.

As far as the Innocase scratching the bottom bezel, I assume he means that the bottom can get scratched because it's somewhat unprotected (not that the case itself scratches it). I could be wrong in my assumption though. Anyway, your bezel will get scratched either way. It's impossible to keep dust out of these cases so you're bound to get some scratches.

7. dread macrumors 6502a

Nope the scratches are under the bezel and clearly a result of the case. The sanding of the grey case is easy and effective. My friends black case is difficult to remove as well, but not impossible like the unmodified grey case. It took me over an hour of pulling to get it off the first time, the black comes off but takes force. Now that I sanded the tab it comes off much easier than the black case.

8. eyespii macrumors 6502

I love my innocase but all this talk about it scratching the phone have me really worried! I've had the case on for about two weeks now and so far I don't have any scratches anywhere on the phone, but if it's inevitable that this thing will scratch the phone then I'll have to look into another solution for protecting my baby.

9. SooneratND macrumors regular

If you have a case on your phone, you WILL get a scratch somewhere. Youn simply can't stop dust getting in somewhere on the phone.

I've got the Innocase and have some small scratches on the bottom bezel, but the rest of the phone is flawless after 6 months of it being on 24/7 and me rarely cleaning it.