Seizure app?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by KTK1990, Mar 21, 2016.

1. KTK1990 macrumors 6502

During the keynote today Apple said something about an app that uses research kit or care kit to predict seizures and record them. Does anyone know what app that is or have any idea when that research/care project will be released?

A roommate of mine has seizures and I think it would be something helpful to them.

2. Rian Gray macrumors regular

Rian Gray

I've been participating in one of the research app, but so far none of them predict or sense grand mal seizure (i.e. the patient doesn't know an episode is occurring). However, given the promises from app developers and from Apple today, I'm sure it's doable. That being said, one of the apps I could by simple googling was this: SeizAlarm. It's already released, but I'm not sure as to how accurate/reliable it is.

3. KTK1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you, I believe I may have found the research app that they were using, called EpiWatch by Johns Hopkins Digital.

I have forwarded both of those to her.

4. ftlum macrumors regular

I don't think we'll see a working seizure prediction app any time soon.

The sensors in the watch can't measure any really useful parameters by themselves. Even if you connected the watch to an ambulatory EEG set up, the results would be disappointing-- even the most sophisticated spike detection software that we have is not very good, and putting it on an iPhone/ Watch won't change that. Maybe someday we'll see a clinically useful app, but it probably won't be until well after I retire from Neurology practice.