Selecting an All in One for a Small Home

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jer2eydevil88, Apr 19, 2014.

1. jer2eydevil88 macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

Hello All,

My Fiance is going back to school and is in need of an All in One for the home. They have a small desk, we have a Macbook Pro with Mavericks and a wireless network for everything to talk over. We would like a small unit that will not be used heavily. I'm partial toward HP having had a number of good experiences with their professional equipment but I'd love feedback from others on what works for them. It's important that it can scan and print, we don't care about the faxing portion that most all in ones have. We do need a document feeder for the scanner, we don't need to print in much volume.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I prefer the Canon MG Series of ink jets as they have very affordable third party ink, great ink usage, and fantastic compatibility with all operating systems. Laser jets I prefer Brother.

4. jer2eydevil88 thread starter macrumors regular

jer2eydevil88

The HP Envy looks like a great device! Altermose brings up a good point about ink pricing that I wasn't considering. Do you know of any trustworthy third party ink suppliers for it?

Altermose is there a particular model of the Canon series that you like?

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Ink jet wise I have the Canon Pixma MG5220 and there is a Pixma MG5320 in the house as well. Both are wireless ink jets and ink is dirt cheap on Amazon.

They both have the same ink so it is nice to not have to order two types. The plus side of the 5320 is that it has AirPrint so you can print from iOS devices or natively without downloading the driver on OS X 10.7+!

6. Roller macrumors 68020

If you can live without color, Brother makes some excellent laser AIOs. I bought a DCP7065DN a couple of years ago and it's the best printer I've ever owned. Much cheaper in supply costs than inkjet and it does double sided printing. Scanning is great too. I think they're still less than 100 dollars.

7. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I highly recommend the Epson L550 ink-tank system. It's much more cost effective (cartridges are much more expensive compared to buying ink bottles direct from Epson) and does a good job in scanning, photocopying, faxing and printing. It prints pretty fast too in monochrome.