Selecting consecutive files in finder

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by giyad, Sep 26, 2007.

1. giyad macrumors regular

Hey does anyone know how to select consecutive files in finder? In windows if you held down the shift key and clicked on a file it would select all the consecutive files between the two. However here on my mac i noticed that I either used command to select individual files or shift to do the same.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It sounds like you answered your own question. Use cmd for selecting additional files and shift for selecting a range of files.

3. giyad thread starter macrumors regular

No, what Im saying is that cmd and shift both perform the same function when selecting files in the finder. I can't select a range of files by holding down shift I have to select them all individually...

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Ah, I got you now, using shift is NOT selecting a range. With some messing around I was able to reproduce this behavior when Finder was in Icon mode (files in a grid-like formation). When in this view mode shift does act like cmd when attempting to select a range it seems. I guess Finder doesn't see the files as sequential. Shift will work in the other modes though (list or column) to select a range.

Does that work for you?

5. giyad thread starter macrumors regular

Your absolutely right! What is the point of that haha? Well, thats annoying... I wish i was able to select a range in thumbnail view...

6. LMO macrumors member

Related question: the only way I've found to move a number of files at once is to shift-click on all but the last one, and the cmd-click to drag all the files to the destination. I'm sure I'm missing something--how is this supposed to work?

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I don't follow your question. Could you elaborate?

8. EricM macrumors newbie

Can't you use the area select for that? Click outside the first icon and then stretch it out past the last icon.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

You can also just never let go of the mouse button -- click on the first file, hold shift, click and hold on the second file and drag. Likewise, when you use Command to select files, just don't let the mouse button go on the last file.

10. giyad thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I could, and I do, but its the principal... there should be a way to do that so I thought maybe I just didn't know something. Also, shift and cmd click should not perform the same function because its redundant.