Selecting files in finder: shift behavior

Discussion in 'macOS' started by YYota, Sep 16, 2007.

1. YYota macrumors newbie

Hello, I've switched from windows 3 months ago and there is only one thing that I couldn't find out how to do with the finder. Here is:

How to reduce a selected list of files using the keyboard in the finder???

To understand what I mean...

In the finder, lets say I have 200 files in a folder and I want to select files from 13 to 127 using the keyboard exclusively. I would put the cursor on the file n°13, hold shift then press the down arrow until I reach the file 127. No problem they all get selected :)

BUT what if I overshoot and keep pressing down for too long and end up selecting files up to the file 135. In windows, I would just hit the up arrow while keeping shift pressed to unselect until I reach file 127. But with the finder, doing this will expand the selection from the top, it will start selecting files above n°13! This is very annoying imho.

So my question is: how to reduce a selected list of files using the keyboard in the finder???

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with me :)
    YYota

2. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Just keep shift selected and click on the last item you want. Anything below it will be unselected. Also, apple+select is the command non-linear selection.

And, yes I realize that didn't exactly answer your question... but it's the way I know how to do it.

3. YYota thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I knew that already that's why I specified using keyboard only. I'm on a laptop and it's annoying having to switch to the pad to do such things.

Anyone got a better idea? :)
    Thanks again!

4. danysl macrumors newbie

danysl

I am looking for the solution to this also, I read on a forum that
    pressing shift acts like the SELECTING mode, pressing up or down will add the item that's up or down from the selected files, while pressing MOD KEY X + up or down will de-select, unfortunately I don't remember the site or the modkey as I was not home when I read it. I was testing command + up or down but it did'nt work for me.... as command down means OPEN.

Anyway I'll keep searching and post back if I find the forum.

5. YYota thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, i hope you can find the answer, it's such an obvious thing, I'm surprised noone has any keyboard workaround for this.