Selecting Files in Transmission

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Wicker, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Wicker macrumors regular

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering why Transmission isn't doing what I tell it to do.

When I download a .torrent and open it with Transmission I get a window that shows me what files are in that torrent. I get the option to unclick files that I don't want. So I do that but then when I hit OK (or whatever the button is) it just ends up downloading the whole contents of the torrent anyway... am I just missing something or is this a bug?

Thanks in advance!

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

It will first download the files you checked and afterwards, unless you stop it, the ones you unchecked.

3. Wicker thread starter macrumors regular

Wow, thanks for your quick response!

Is there any way to know when the ones you've checked have finished or do you have to figure it out according the the amount of data you've downloaded so far?

4. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I don't remeber exactly but I think the status bar has some kind of highlighting. It also says "... of selected MB downloaded" or something to that effect.

5. Wicker thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, I see it now! Had never seen it before, thanks.

It still blows that it won't stop by itself... I usually leave the computer downloading the files overnight so I won't notice when the ones I want have finished and the other ones will be downloaded as well... :(

6. ChefJayPeek macrumors regular

It works for me, there is a vertical line in the progress bar that shows where the partpial download will finish, and when it reaches that point, it goes "green" and dings "Download complete." Then it just uploads from that point.

I seem to remember it not doing this in the past, perhaps you need an upgrade?

Chef Jay

7. cptpower macrumors regular

cptpower

I'm with ChefJayPeek. When the dialog opens for me to select the files I want to d/l, I choose whatever ones I want, and then leave it be for however long it'll take.

After some time, Transmission will *ding* at me, indicating that the transfer is complete, and will only upload at that point.

One thing I have noticed is that the download folder may contain files that I didn't request to download. But they're also tiny in size compared to what they should be. A fragment of what gets downloaded from the torrent contains the next file in the sequence I'm guessing, which is why those show up. A minor annoyance.

Another thing is that Transmission will automatically download all files in a torrent by default. Then, if you open it up and de-select files, it will still download those de-selected files, until you quit the application I believe (or maybe just stop/start the transfer).

Or, as somebody else noted, maybe you just need an upgrade.

8. Wicker thread starter macrumors regular

Excellent!

When I had tried it before I usually skipped one file or two which were downloaded anyways. This time I tried downloading only half the torrent and although some of the files I didn't select were still downloaded partially (although only a few kilobytes) it did a pretty good job of just downloading what was selected.

I'm happy again :) thanks!