Selecting folders with Migration Assistant

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jingletido, Jun 8, 2014.

1. jingletido macrumors newbie

jingletido

I just bought a new Macbook Air and want to use Migration Assistant to bring my user account from my iMac to the MBA. Will I be able to designate which folders in my home folder I want to transfer, or must I transfer the home folder in its entirety? I've never done this before. Thank you so much for any tips.

2. Jhingha macrumors regular

Jhingha

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You have some control over what comes over. Before you start the migration you will get this screen where you can expand the user account and unselect the folders there you do not want to import.

[​IMG]

4. jingletido thread starter macrumors newbie

jingletido

de-selecting folders for Migration Assistant

Thank you very much for your response. I was hoping to be able to deselect Mail so Migration Assistant wouldn't migrate Mail. Long story, but I have a conflict between Mail, Spotlight and Time Machine that no one's been able to solve. I have a workaround that involves third party backup software for Mail. I'd like to not import whatever's messed up with Mail and Spotlight into my new MacAir. Would I have the Option to deselect Mail in my library folder and not have Mail migrated over to the new MBA?
    Many thanks for any advice.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nope... sorry. The best you can do is uncheck those folders on that screen, but that won't stop Mail data from coming over.

6. jingletido thread starter macrumors newbie

jingletido

de-selecting folders for Migration Assistant

Thanks, Weaselboy, for your helpful response. I think I'll opt to not use Migration Assistant, and to manually bring over my stuff. I know it's a big job, but I don't want to import the problem I have with Mail on my iMac into my brand new MBA. I appreciate your getting back to me.