Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PegM4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
This problem only started after I had to have a new hard drive installed from a recall on my iMac. The computer is only 2 months old if that makes any difference. Anyway, when I try to select multiple files, I don't seem to be able to do it without all of them opening. Then I have to close each one before I can move the files I selected. Am I doing something wrong?

A side issue is, also, that after I have them selected, I would like to get info on the total amount selected. I used to be able to click on "get info" and it would show me the total. Now it opens info on each individual file so I have to add them all together to get the total. Can't figure out what is going on.

Would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Peg

Last edited:

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
This problem only started after I had to have a new hard drive installed from a recall on my iMac. The computer is only 2 months old if that makes any difference. Anyway, when I try to select multiple files, I don't seem to be able to do it without all of them opening. Then I have to close each one before I can move the files I selected. Am I doing something wrong?

A side issue is, also, that after I have them selected, I would like to get info on the total amount selected. I used to be able to click on "get info" and it would show me the total. Now it opens info on each individual file so I have to add them all together to get the total. Can't figure out what is going on.

Would appreciate any help.
Thanks
Peg

This may sound stupid, but how are you selecting multiple files?

To get "summary" Get Info on a selection of files hold down the Control key when doing a Command + I.

PegM4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 30, 2011
This may sound stupid, but how are you selecting multiple files?

To get "summary" Get Info on a selection of files hold down the Control key when doing a Command + I.

I have done the click 1st file and hold down shift key and click last file, as well as trying to do Command+click and selecting them individually. Each time, it opens up each file and they all have to be closed before I can move them.

Peg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.