selecting multiple files without opening

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PegM4, Aug 2, 2011.

1. PegM4, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

PegM4 macrumors newbie

This problem only started after I had to have a new hard drive installed from a recall on my iMac. The computer is only 2 months old if that makes any difference. Anyway, when I try to select multiple files, I don't seem to be able to do it without all of them opening. Then I have to close each one before I can move the files I selected. Am I doing something wrong?

A side issue is, also, that after I have them selected, I would like to get info on the total amount selected. I used to be able to click on "get info" and it would show me the total. Now it opens info on each individual file so I have to add them all together to get the total. Can't figure out what is going on.

Would appreciate any help.
    Thanks
    Peg

2. simsaladimbamba

How do you select those files?
    And to get a sum of all files, use OPTION+CMD+I.

3. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

This may sound stupid, but how are you selecting multiple files?

To get "summary" Get Info on a selection of files hold down the Control key when doing a Command + I.

4. simsaladimbamba, Aug 2, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Thanks, didn't know that one, as OPTION+CMD+I is dynamic, whereas CTRL+CMD+I is static.

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I didn't know about Option + Command + I. Does dynamic mean that it changes if the file sizes change while they're selected?

6. simsaladimbamba

Yep, which is quite handy sometimes.

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Thanks. I guess no matter how much you think you know you can always learn something new. :)

8. PegM4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have done the click 1st file and hold down shift key and click last file, as well as trying to do Command+click and selecting them individually. Each time, it opens up each file and they all have to be closed before I can move them.

Peg

9. simsaladimbamba

Are you single or double clicking, and with do you click on what hardware and OS X version?