Selecting right OS to boot

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Killerbob, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I am new to Bootcamp, but have finally gotten it to work. The graphics drivers are still bugging me, but at least I have a work-around.

However, I do have a small irritation, which I am sure someone knows how to fix!

When in OSX, I can easily boot into Windows, using BootChamp. It works flawlessly. However, when in Windows 7, and I select "boot into Mac OS", Windows shuts down, but it does not select the right boot disk. I then have to hold down the Option key, select the right disk for OSX, and it boots fine

I have a Mac Pro with BAY1 - 1 HDD for Windows, BAY2 - 1 SSD for OSX, and BAY3 and BAY4 - 2 HDDs in Raid0.

How can I select the right Boot disk in Windows?

/Bo

2. murphychris macrumors 6502a

Terminal, copy paste this command, and paste the results back into the forum formated with code tags. To do that, highlight the pasted text, and click on the # button in the toolbar.

Code:
    sudo gpt -r -vv show disk0
    This is a read only command it doesn't modify anything.

----------

And if you haven't already tried it, you should zap PRAM (which clears NVRAM which might be the source of your trouble but if not it's either a partitioning problem or it might be a blessing problem).

Also provide the results from this command

Code:
    bless --info

3. Killerbob, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

Killerbob thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi,

You mention to use Terminal, but the problem is in Windows when I want to revert to Mac OSX.

In OSX, I use a small utility (BootChamp) to boot to Windows, and that works flawlessly. However, when in Windows, and I want to get back to OSX I use the Boot Camp icon in the taskbar to boot to OSX, and that doesn't work. Only if I enter preferences and select the OSX partition (which then is disk 3) and restart, will it work. I just do not understand why I have to enter the preferences every single time???

I can of course check it out in Terminal, but that's in OSX, after it has worked.

/Bo

4. murphychris macrumors 6502a

The problem doesn't manifest in Windows. It manifests at the bootloader stage. That points to either a bootloader, NVRAM, or partition issue.