selecting text in MS Word

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by edk, Feb 4, 2010.

1. edk macrumors regular

Hi,

i'm running MS Word 08 on an 20" imac with a MS laser wireless mouse.

The strange issue I have is this: when selecting text with the cursor, the feeling/response is very strange. Response feels 'sticky', text is selected when you don't want too. Moving selected text is hit & miss. Basically - the system acts as though my mouse/word combo is a little drunk :p

On any crappy windows machine, the same actions work without a thought. Text selection is 100% accurate. There's no 'stickyness'.

Anyone else had similar problems?

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

I actually have a similar problem. Or maybe, two similar problems:

1. Clean your mouse. A lot of this jumping / no fine control is due to dirt.
    2. I think Word does not a good job when you select characters. It makes it's own assumptions. I will never understand Microsoft won't let me a select a whole word and then just some characters from another word - it's one or two words, nothing more, nothing less. Not much you can do here, though.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I've seen other posts wherein people assert that the Office apps work better in Windows than on a Mac. There are at least two theories:
    1. Office for Mac programmers don't understand the Mac OS very well
    2. It's a conspiracy

Of course, theory number 2 is a given on any issue. ;)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Without access to the OP's computer, his description of his selection "problems" sounds like Word:mac's normal behavior. I rarely use Word:win. So, I cannot attest to how much better it is that its Mac-based sibling. Without question, many Windows users produce beautiful documents using Word. However, my experience is that the vast majority of Word:win users, including those who are reasonably proficient in the app, produce crap. I am not ready to stipulate that Word:win is better than Word:mac.

5. macnfab macrumors regular

macnfab

I was raised on windows (and i'm an IT student) until about a year ago when I finally saw the light and bought my first macbook. I use word everyday for school and I have never had an issue with word or excel/powerpoint... My MS office on my mac works much better than with my one remaining PC.

Sounds more like a mouse issue to me.

6. edk thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the feedback folks. I will try a simple wired mouse and see if the issue persists. It could be the logitec mouse causing the problem I guess....