Selection bug in Word?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by davidlv, May 31, 2013.

1. davidlv macrumors 65816

I use Word a lot in translation work, and have had a election issue for a while, appeared sometime after the last or the one before last update.
    Trying to select a word or phrase will not always work, either using a magic mouse or trackpad. The cursor just stays at the insertion point. If I double click that word, or any other word, then the selection process works, but of course that brings me right out of "work" mode and into "wwwwWTF Microsoft!" mode
    interrupting any present chain of thought.
    This issue is intermittent and hard to reproduce, but it happens a lot, and I cannot associate any other action or condition to it. So stumped! Not:cool:
    Any ideas?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

None for a solution, but, if it makes you feel any better, I get that too. I use Excel far more than I do Word, so it could be in my spreadsheets. But in general, I think Office for Mac applications have been historically buggy. I'm still using 2004, so I'm disappointed to hear it's still happening to you.

3. davidlv thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply. In general 2011 is good, i even like the ribbon, even if it did take some effort to get used to it. The find and replace window is available only by a pull down menu, but you can set up a hot key for that, so it works.
    You can work around this selection bug - just takes a double click on any word and the go back and try to select something by a one-click and drag, it will the work. But that really does interrupt your train of thought.
    I intend to check this out on the NS forums as soon as I get the time, too busy now. Will post back if I find out anything. This may be a problem common only in the Japanese version I use, especially as no one has posted about it in reply.
    :(