Selective Migration: Possible?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hkim1983, Apr 11, 2010.

1. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I recently purchased a new HD for my Macbook and installed it, along with a clean install of the OS. I put my old HD into an external enclosure and can connect it via USB. Here's my question:

-Is it possible to selectively migrate certain information from my old HD to the new?

Let me be more specific here, I only want to migrate my Safari, Firefox, Mail, Stickies, iCal, iTunes, Adium, and MS Office settings, that's it, nothing else. Is this possible via Migration assistant? Do I have to use a 3rd party app? Is it possible at all? Thanks.

2. natewsmith macrumors regular

Hey,

I asked Apple that exact question. But I wanted to know if it were possible through Time Machine. They said it wasn't possible.

I tried and gave up but you can try. I was able to transfer everything over but wasn't able to open anything because of permissions. I tried to get permissions to work but something just wasn't clicking.

3. natewsmith macrumors regular

I'm not sure what you are doing because I try and I get a "Copy Error Message" Saying The operation can't be completed because you don't have permission to access some of the items.

I guess you just have to transfer one at a time or else the system freaks out.