Selective Time Machine Restore

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by runningman1228, Jul 14, 2011.

1. runningman1228 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to replace the hard drive in my computer and instead of making it like my old computer using time machine and ending up a new hard drive with million files everywhere in a million different folders, I'd like to start fresh.

Is there anyway I can selectively drag over certain applications from my old hard drive to my new hard drive. I don't have the discs for some of them.

I tried doing this in the past but I think it said something about permissions or something, if I recall correctly and I was wondering if there might be away around that.

Also what is the best way to transfer my music(itunes) and photo(iPhoto and Aperture) libraries.

Thanks for your help!

2. guvna macrumors newbie

Also interested to hear if you can do this.

Currently running an imac with snow leopard and have lots of applications running that I don't have discs for. Have backed everything up

When I get a new mac with lion, how easy would it be to select certain applications and files to install without bringing everything over?

If that is not possible, are there any issues in doing a complete time machine restore across different operating systems? Want to keep the lion that comes with the new machine

Sorry if these are stupid questions, not had to do anything like this for years

Thanks