Selective transferring of apps/backup files from old laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Big Byte, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Big Byte macrumors regular

Hi,

I just purchased a new 13" MacBook Pro to replace my old 14" iBook G4 and have some questions that I hope can be answered in this thread. If not, maybe someone can direct me to an appropriate thread.

When setting up my new MBP, I decided not to use Setup Assistant or Migrate Assistant because I did not want to clog up my new laptop with a lot of "useless" files that I understand remain in the HDD even when old applications, files, etc. are deleted.

I have manually adjusted my System Preferences, Dock, etc. to imitate how they are on my old laptop and installed the apps that I use. However, I don't know how to transfer the backup files for my associated apps.

The following is a list of the apps that I am using. I need to know, for each app, where I can locate the backup file on my old laptop so that I can transfer it to my new laptop, and, if possible, whether the preferences, toolbar customization, etc., can also be transferred. I'll also include any specific concerns I have:

1) 1Password: I need to transfer the backup data and, if possible, preferences;

2) iTunes: I need to transfer the backup data and, if possible, preferences. I assume that my music library is part of the backup data; if not, I need to transfer it, as well;

3) Safari: I need to transfer the backup data and, if possible, preferences. I assume that bookmarks are part of the backup data; if not, I need to transfer them, as well;

4) Mail: I need to transfer the backup data and, if possible, preferences. I assume that my mailboxes are part of the backup data; if not, I need to transfer them, as well;

5) Address Book: I need to transfer the backup data and, if possible, preferences. I assume that my contacts are part of the backup data; if not, I need to transfer them, as well;

6) iCal: I need to transfer the backup data and, if possible, preferences. I assume that my events and "To Do" lists are part of the backup data; if not, I need to transfer them, as well;

7) Stickies: I need to transfer the backup data and, if possible, preferences. I assume that my notes are part of the backup data; if not, I need to transfer them, as well;

8) Evernote: it seems to have transferred everything when I logged in. I don't think I need to do anything else; if I do, please let me know;

9) Microsoft Office: I had to purchase Microsoft Office 2011 because my MBP will not support Microsoft Office 2004. Is it, however, possible to transfer my word document template so that new documents are formatted the way I have it set up on my old laptop and so that my toolbars are customized the way I have them on my old laptop? If so, where do I find the template (I notice that there is one buried in Applications and one in Microsoft Backup Data; which one is the one to use?

That's about it for now. If anyone can help, I would very much appreciate it.

Thank-you.

2. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

This is why I love MobileMe. You just simply download everything from iDisk. With the new iCloud, you can't move from Powerbook iCloud cause it doesn't exist.

Easiest way is either connect both Macs with a ethernet cord... move your info from old mac to the new one.

Or B. buy a jump drive and move info that way.

In every Application you can import info, including Safari. in each app go to File - Import. Save everything to the jump drive/flash drive.

or C. use your iPhone/iPod to sync info to Macs.

3. Big Byte thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, mofunk.

I've managed to copy all of my music library from my Time Capsule to my MBP by way of ethernet cable.

I'd like to use this method to transfer data from my iBook to my MBP, but when I connect the ethernet cord between the two, I do not see my iBook appear on my MBP (unlike when I connected my Time Capsule, which showed up on my MBP). Any idea what I'm doing wrong?