Selective VPN Traffic?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by w00t951, Jul 12, 2012.

1. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I purchased myself a fairly quick VPN to watch Hulu and Netflix while in South Korea.

Unfortunately, browsing is extremely slow while streaming video. Does anyone know how to selectively push video traffic through the VPN while generic browsing doesn't?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Sounds like you'd need something that either supports split tunneling, or an SSL VPN, where you would use a different browser for streaming and browsing. Alternatively, I think you could just use SmartDNS to change your location, if you don't actually need the traffic to be encrypted.

3. DrJohnZoidberg macrumors member

Under Linux it is possible (using iptables) to segregate traffic, forcing some to use the VPN connection whilst others use the normal route [link]. Unfortunately the same methods will not work with OS X.

A very crude way of achieving the required result would be to install virtualbox, and have a virtual (Linux) machine which is connected to the VPN. You can then use your main OS to browse normally, and use the virtual machine to view video. I'm not claiming this is a good solution, but it would work.

4. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

SmartDNS? Will this also work in tricking my Android phone to let me install region-restricted apps from the Google Play Store? Thanks!

5. MadTester macrumors regular

MadTester

6. Fred73L macrumors newbie

Selective VPN

VPN Select could be great in this case. It allows keeping your full Internet speed, it's selective (choose sites you want to access without affecting local traffic), works on most devices including Internet enabled TV.
    And you can use services from different countries at the same time, for example one watches Netflix UK on TV in leaving room, while other watching Hulu US from Xbox connected to TV in bedroom.

7. Livewings macrumors regular

Use Unotelly.
    Best of all it uses DNS instead of VPN which is easier.
    Hulu, Netflix etc will then it connect to the US-based servers, other websites will use your local internet.

I'm based in Singapore and so far its fast and flawless.

8. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

The both of you are responding to a thread 5 months old.:eek:

9. Livewings macrumors regular

I just realised that. Silly me. :apple::eek:

10. Fred73L macrumors newbie

Selective VPN

yeap, thanks, good catch...
    Although this question is still relevant, and some people like you even still reading it ;)

11. w00t951 thread starter macrumors 68000

w00t951

Actually I was still looking for an answer, so thanks!