selectively quote in an email reply

wildernessbob

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Pender Island, BC, Canada
is there a way to quote an email in a reply without setting it to quote each time? i generally don't quote, but sometimes i need to. is there a way to tell mail to quote just this one time. is there a keystroke or something?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
is there a way to quote an email in a reply without setting it to quote each time? i generally don't quote, but sometimes i need to. is there a way to tell mail to quote just this one time. is there a keystroke or something?
Other than simply copying the text you want to quote and pasting in your response, you can't selectively quote in some responses and not others. Of course, if you have preferences set to quote the original message, you can also set it to selectively quote only the text you have highlighted. There is no built-in method to turn the quote function off and on between replies, other than through the preferences.

glenthompson

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2011
Florida
While there is no way to selectively quote, if you turn quotes on it only takes two keystrokes to delete the quoted text. Cmd-A, Delete will remove the quoted text. I usually quote but if I don't, it's a quick way to get rid of it.