Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daytherunner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Hi everyone, I just got a MacBook for college, and I've only had it a few days. I used AirPort to connect to the internet, and it had been working. But then all of a sudden I was connected but it said..."AirPort has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet." I am connected to my home computer, but I can't get on the internet. I've tried fixing a few things and everything seems to be fine. Why is it doing this? It did it last night and today it's doing it as well. I haven't set up my own internet yet, so maybe that's the problem-I've just been using other networks. But it was working fine yesterday, so I don't get it. Any help would be appreciated!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Right now your computer just isn't connecting to your router. How is your network setup? Do you have a router connected to a cable/dsl modem and a wireless network from the router? Is there a computer hooked directly to the modem, with the computer sharing the internet connection through a wireless card?

Assuming your Macbook has all the correct settings, such as, proper network selected and correct security keys, assuming you have security enabled. I would do the following.

Restart your network.
1. unplug your modem and router from there power sources
2. wait two minutes and plug in you modem
3. wait an additional two minutes for your modem to establish a connection with your internet provider then power up your router. (If your internet provider requires DNS settings and user info from your router you can just power the router up immediately)
4. reboot your Macbook

If your network is setup properly, this will usually do the trick.

daytherunner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Right now your computer just isn't connecting to your router. How is your network setup? Do you have a router connected to a cable/dsl modem and a wireless network from the router? Is there a computer hooked directly to the modem, with the computer sharing the internet connection through a wireless card?

Assuming your Macbook has all the correct settings, such as, proper network selected and correct security keys, assuming you have security enabled. I would do the following.

Restart your network.
1. unplug your modem and router from there power sources
2. wait two minutes and plug in you modem
3. wait an additional two minutes for your modem to establish a connection with your internet provider then power up your router. (If your internet provider requires DNS settings and user info from your router you can just power the router up immediately)
4. reboot your Macbook

If your network is setup properly, this will usually do the trick.

The things is I don't have a router nor a modem-it just connects to the internet. I can get on in other networks now, just not from the iMac at my home. I don't get it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.