Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanhux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 8, 2013
Please note: I swear i've read all the posts I can find on this topic in the forums but nothing seems to quite match my situation!

Quick background to issue-I am a New Zealander who travelled to the USA last week, and arrived back home this morning. First time I have taken my Macbook Pro out of the country, had no issues with it whatsoever auto switching time zone and connecting to USA hotel wireless.

Arrived home this morning and suddenly have issue that I cannot connect to net. Noticed that Wi-Fi symbol was greyed out with black '!' in center and no connectivity whatsoever. Opened Network preferences to see "Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address xxxx and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

Have never seen nor heard of this issue until now. Have tried all solutions I can find online, deleting network, wifi, keychain passwords, renewing DCHP, and restarting computer more times than I can count! I did note that strangely enough my iPhone refuses to connect to Wi-Fi also.

Tried one solution I found-if I connect my iPhone via cable and turn on personal hotspot my connection to my home wifi works!? It says connected to 'Dlink' (my home wifi) if I click on airport logo, yet when I open network preferences Wi-Fi is still orange and 'self addressed IP' yet iPhone USB is green and connected. I do not understand why I can connect to my home network through my phone yet as soon as i turn of personal hotspot neither device will connect?

Apologies for long post-confused and frustrated! Also wondering wether I am really using my phones 3G data rather than my home network as it would appear.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Try going to this screen in the advanced tab in networks and set it to Using DHCP. It sounds like you have it set to a manual address.

BP6Y4gM.png

If that does not work, go to the Network pref pane and select the wifi entry then click the minus at the lower left to remove it. Then click the plus and add wifi back in. This will put it back to defaults.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I had the same issue on my 2011 macbook pro. I tried countless things and the only thing which worked was to restore via time capsule to a day before the issue creeped up. Hope this helps

grammyhowes

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2016
Ipswich Suffolk
Please note: I swear i've read all the posts I can find on this topic in the forums but nothing seems to quite match my situation!

Quick background to issue-I am a New Zealander who travelled to the USA last week, and arrived back home this morning. First time I have taken my Macbook Pro out of the country, had no issues with it whatsoever auto switching time zone and connecting to USA hotel wireless.

Arrived home this morning and suddenly have issue that I cannot connect to net. Noticed that Wi-Fi symbol was greyed out with black '!' in center and no connectivity whatsoever. Opened Network preferences to see "Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address xxxx and will not be able to connect to the Internet."

Have never seen nor heard of this issue until now. Have tried all solutions I can find online, deleting network, wifi, keychain passwords, renewing DCHP, and restarting computer more times than I can count! I did note that strangely enough my iPhone refuses to connect to Wi-Fi also.

Tried one solution I found-if I connect my iPhone via cable and turn on personal hotspot my connection to my home wifi works!? It says connected to 'Dlink' (my home wifi) if I click on airport logo, yet when I open network preferences Wi-Fi is still orange and 'self addressed IP' yet iPhone USB is green and connected. I do not understand why I can connect to my home network through my phone yet as soon as i turn of personal hotspot neither device will connect?

Apologies for long post-confused and frustrated! Also wondering wether I am really using my phones 3G data rather than my home network as it would appear.

Replacing the ethernet cables resolved mine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.