Self-Assigned IP = no internet connection

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by InvalidUserID, Mar 4, 2010.

1. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Hello all,

I've been having some wireless connectivity issues on my MBP (OSX 10.6.2) for the past half hour. I came back from a jog and all of a sudden I don't have any internet connection...wireless is giving me "Alert: No Internet Connection" and when I go into the network preferences it gives me "Airport has the self-assigned IP address xxx.xxx.xx.xxx and will not be able to connect to the internet. Prior to this, I've had virtually no problems with my internet and I've made no changes to my laptop or gateway (2wire 3800HGV-B, using AT&T U-Verse).

The weird thing is that the two wireless items in my house are my laptop and iPhone, which both lost wireless connection at the same time. While a reboot of my iPhone worked (it can connect to the wireless network fine now), my laptop still can't connect.

I've tried creating a new location in network preferences, no luck. I've changed wireless channels to see if that would work, nope. I've turned my airport wireless on my laptop on and off, as well as restart my laptop, nothing. I'm not sure where else to start...but I'll try to give as much info here as possible, to paint a picture.

TCP/IP --- "Configure IPv4: Using DHCP", "Configure IPv6: Automatically".
    DNS --- Empty fields, no options to select
    WINS --- Empty, no options to select
    802.1X --- Empty, no options to select
    Proxies --- Same
    Ethernet --- Configure:Automatically

I'm trying to avoid restarting the gateway as that controls all the TVs in the house as well as the DVR and in the past when I've had to reset the gateway, it somehow messes up the DVR.

Any ideas? By the way, the computer I'm using now is a desktop that is connected via ethernet cable to the gateway.

2. InvalidUserID thread starter macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

No idea how or why this worked but it worked...this is what I did:

From the desktop, I opened the 2wire homepage and saw that my laptop was given a address of 192.168.x.xx. So from there, I went into network preferences and changed the "configure PIv4" from USING DHCP to "USING HDCP with manual address and then and then just entered in the address from the gateway homepage into that spot.

:confused::confused::confused:

Oh well, whatever works. Still don't know what happened as I didn't make any changes...

Grrrr...seems like the internet works fine for a few minutes and then losses connectivity until I turn airport off and then on again, in which time it comes back on fine.

iPhone does the same thing.

3. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

I'm having exactly the same issue - suddenly started happening a few days ago. Unfortunately, all my questions and posts on MR are going unanswered - probably cos I'm not 'waiting for Arrandale'.

Oddly, same is happening to my partner's Macbook, but not our iPhones (they always connect fine).

I have an Airport Extreme - you?

4. Queso macrumors G4

I think you're going to have to restart the 2wire. Sounds to me like its DHCP server daemon is playing up.

5. InvalidUserID thread starter macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

That's what I did. I went to bed to see if it would miraculously work itself out which it didn't do, of course. So I pulled the plug on the 2wire, waited a minute, and plugged it back in and presto...just like magic the laptop got it's wifi connectivity back.

Odd as this had never happened before, for whatever that is worth.