Self-assigned IP on airport and ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jag00, Sep 20, 2008.

1. jag00 macrumors newbie

I've searched the forums and found different variations of this issue but none exactly as mine. After trying many of the suggestions in other posts, I thought I'd post and hope someone has some ideas.

I have a MBP (2.2 ghz, C2D, 4gb ram) running leopard with all the latest software updates. When I connect at home, to a linksys router with WPA2 encryption, my connection works perfectly. However, in the last month or so, everytime I take my computer anywhere else, I can't connect. I can't connect wirelessly or via to my work network. I would say that's a problem of the network but other computers work fine. I have tried other public wifi networks and I can't connect either. The message is always that airport can't grab an IP so I get the "self-assigned IP" status. I just tried connecting through Ethernet to a friend's cable modem and the same message appeared. Overall I've tried about 10-15 networks and none work. The kicker is when I boot under bootcamp into windows XP I can connect wirelessly to any public network.

I have tried reparing permissions, deleting preference files, deleting all my preferences under network connections. Nothing has worked. Anyone care to take a shot at it? I guess my last shot is to reinstall OS X but I don't feel like wiping out everything on my computer.

Thanks for any help and sorry for the long post.

-J

2. brand macrumors 601

brand

Are you using DHCP to obtain an IP on your laptop? You could also turn off IPv6 since you will never need it.

3. jag00 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes,I'm using DHCP. Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried turning off IPv6 but no difference.

-J