Self-Assigned IP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by i4k20c, Jan 30, 2011.

1. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

why does this problem keep back to haunt me? Everything i've done in the past never works, only solution is to reset router, which is not plausible when you have 2-3 other people using the connection and can't afford to get booted.

i'm only posting this hoping someone has fond some new solution, or answer as to why this happens on my apple computer. Router is pushing out signal to my other windows computer flawlessly, but my apple has a problem. Makes me hate this computer when it happens.

Either way,
    Powerbook G4 12inches
    1.5ghz
    1.25gb ram

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The 169.254.x.x address typically means your machine can't contact whatever is doing the DHCP handouts on your network (probably your router). Perhaps you should get a new router, or ensure that DHCP is functioning properly on yours.

Or use static IP addresses.

3. i4k20c thread starter macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

but i really like this router, it's a wireless G, but somehow i get faster speeds with this than the new router i purchased back (wireless N).

how do i check that the DHCP is functioning properly on my router? or how do i use a static IP address?

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Login to the router and check - or just verify that other devices on the network have correct IP addresses.

I have one machine on my network using a static IP - go into the Mac's settings under System Preferences, Network, Advanced, TCP/IP, and change "Configure IPv4" to "Using DHCP with Manual Address."