Self assigned ip

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pothen, Mar 4, 2009.

1. pothen macrumors newbie

every time i try connecting to the interent, my airport just says,
    "AirPort has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connecg to the internet"

hence i cant connect to my wireless.
    can anyone help me, i tried searching google, but only found something about deleting airport preferences in your library (didnt work). I have a mac book pro, and running all available updates.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

It's not connecting to your wireless for some reason. Do you have the SSID, encryption keys, etc all set correctly? Have you rebooted your wireless router/access point?

3. pothen thread starter macrumors newbie

yes, it was working fine a while ago, and it is connected to my router, just not getting an ip address as far a i know. and i have no encryption on my router.

and i tried rebooting router, access point, i also have a couple other computers (windows computers) that are working.

4. pothen thread starter macrumors newbie

i also went to school and tried the wifi there, didnt work either, just thought i'd add that

5. belvdr macrumors 603

Well, it's definitely a client side issue. I doubt you're connecting to your wireless router if you're getting a self assigned IP and also cannot connect at school.

6. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Have you checked to see if you have the Network settings set for a static IP?

System Preferences > Network > Airport > Advanced > TCP/IP

Then see if the IPv4 is set for Manually or Using DHCP. Most people should be able to get by with the Using DHCP.

7. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

I have the same problem as you at school.

It worked last semester, however, this semester it refuses to connect. It shows I have a full connection, but it says "Self-Assigned IP Address" and it won't connect to the internet.